Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Ramblings

After Mass today I quickly changed and headed out to the garden.

Harvest has begun in earnest on the old homestead. Today was getting together all those ingredients to make my MIL's relish recipe. The last jar of what I made two years ago is almost gone and Harvey just loves this. I enjoy making it as with some of the recipes I make that have been handed down from my Mother I feel an attachment to the older generation of family.


So I picked cucumbers...

Green tomatoes......

Green and red peppers (only got a picture of the green ones for some reason)....

 and some onions (which I did not get a picture of at all).

After a bit of time standing over the food processor (veggies washed and cut in chunks first), this is what I ended up with.

My large roaster full of the processed veggies. This was mixed with a bit of coarse salt and will sit overnight on my counter. Tomorrow morning I will drain off the liquid and start making this into lovely relish for the next few years.

We didn't stop at picking things there.

Harvey picked what remained of the kohlrabi.

Which after a bit of work became this.

Four packages of blanched kohlrabi which is residing in the freezer downstairs.

I also picked some zucchini and eggplant.

The oddly shaped zucchini was shredded and put in bags and in the freezer. The eggplant will be used this upcoming week to make a lovely meal.


This large zucchini was also shredded. I did not however put this one into the pot for freezing. Instead it resides in the fridge where it will hopefully over the next few days be made into loaves, cake and some muffins.

I think I may be fairly busy for the next little while!!!

I am a bit upset with blogger right now. The posts on my blog list are not always updating. I hope I don't miss any of your new posts, but if I do I will catch up with them. At least I hope so!!

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


1 comment:

  1. Jackie,

    I need to get my rear in gear and get some canning done. I miss all the homemade goodies. Your relish looks delicious.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete