Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Frugalities

This week has been one of honing our frugal habits, or perhaps I should say getting Harvey to develop a few more.

He spent much of this week installing and programming our various thermostats. We still need to do our main one, but are holding off as when the sun is shining the furnace hardly ever cuts in. The other three are now programmed and hopefully saving us electrical use and therefore Harv's hard earned pension.

I also started on the Lenten table cloth for one of the schools. I managed to buy a lovely sheet set for less than buying the fabric and am refashioning this into what I need. I will even have some left with which to do quilting or even use in making clothing. Just wish they would have had the right green in a sheet set, but no such luck.

After defrosting the freezer this week and having to throw out some mystery meats (I could kick myself), I made an inventory of what is in the meat freezer and plan on using items up a bit quicker. The inventory is actually sitting on top of the freezer along with a pen so I can make notations easier.

This is my serger....when it decides to act up.

This is me opening it up to try and figure out what is going on.
This is also when I realized the bottom looper was not threaded properly anymore. I decided to rethread the looper...... Did not work.

Finally pulled out the manual and realized that one needed to rethread the whole thing. According to them the bottom looper must be threaded first.

First the bottom looper......


Then the top looper.....

Lastly the needles. All I can say is thank goodness for pictures and a long handled tweezers!!

However after all this I figured I would leave the sewing alone for awhile, before I made a big mistake. Really all I have left on the table cloth is a narrow hem and perhaps some trim to make sure it is the right size.

We were also lucky this week in that we managed to use up most if not all our leftovers. I really need to learn how to cook for two instead of 4. Mind you it does save me time and money in the long run.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same problem with my serger, but haven't been successful at correctly threading it up. Maybe I should have another go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never be able to operate that machine. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete