Monday, April 11, 2016

The First Day

We left on March 25th, spending the night in a hotel in Regina since we had to be up and at the airport no later then 3 am. I was amazed that there were others there as the roads leading to the airport were almost deserted.

We found a parking spot quite easily and actually close to the entrance. I think arriving at 2:30 am had a great deal to do with that.

Making the first leg of our journey we arrived at Pearson International Airport in Toronto by 9:30 am and enjoyed (not) a 6 hour wait for the next leg of our trip.

I don't know how many of you have seen London from the sky at night. All I can say is wow.

It almost looked as if there was a giant ball of fire below us.

Frankfurt was a bit scary. We did not know the gate we would be leaving from and the large screens did not have it listed either. Asking a rather dour gentleman sitting in what was an information center which passport control line we should be in, we were rather shocked to be waved away. I am afraid we might have gone through the wrong line, but the man stamping passports didn't say anything to us other than asking where we were going and how long we were planning on staying.

Next came the security gauntlet. I managed to get through with just a wipe down and body scan, no search and no beep. Harvey on the other hand sent the darn gate beeping like crazy. Poor guy always seems to do this, and before you ask there is no metal in his body at all.

Finally we were through and walked quickly to what we thought was our gate. After sitting for awhile and noticing that no one else was coming I walked over to a Lufthansa desk and hoping not to get waved away again asked them if we were at the right gate. We weren't and so after thanking the helpful (finally) staff quickly found the right gate.

 This picture was taken when we did find our gate and were trying to gain our breath. We made it about 20 minutes to boarding.

We reached Madrid at about 3 pm and our hotel room at about 4 pm. We were in Terminal 1 and were picked up first and then had to travel to Terminal 4 to pick up more of our fellow travelers.

Harvey decided to have a bit of a nap before the evening supper. I, on the other hand, decided to email Kurt and Kris to let them know we had safely arrived.

More of our adventure tomorrow.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. i always get stressed when i travel through airports probably due to a few near misses in the past. im pleased you negotiated it okay.