Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Thrifty Tuesday

Perhaps the most thrifty thing I do every week is to make use of all leftovers in other meals. I have paid good money for the items I use in making meals and I want to get the most out of each and everything.

As you have probably noticed I always do a roast meal of some sort on Sundays. Once the meat is cut up and we have eaten I package up all the leftover meat for meals later on. Usually I portion everything out and freeze the bags in the upstairs freezer. Sometimes the leftovers seem never ending (which is good) and other times there are only two or three bags to be used. 

I usually make casseroles from the leftovers, which stretches the meat even further. I always get two meals for Harvey and I from one casserole, and sometimes there is enough for a lunch later on. Or I make a tin foil meal for Kris to take home with him in his care package if I think he will enjoy it. 

This week we will be having two meals made with freezer leftovers (one last night and one tonight) and the remains (Harvey was pretty hungry after his snow removal yesterday) and on Thursday we will have another meal from one of the casseroles (the other will be used for lunches). 

I fooled around with my blog a bit today and finally got how to add reply to comments. So simple, that I wonder why I didn't do it before. Now I can actually reply to everyone.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. I can't abide waste of any kind, we get our moneys worth out of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I age I am getting to be a great deal more careful about rinsing containers, cutting things open and mixing strange concoctions together. All so I can use the last of what I paid for.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I think the freezer used well saves a lot of money and waste. I do a regular stock take to make sure I use up the bits and pieces I pop in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking stock of what you have in your freezer is the only way to go. I used to loose bits and pieces all the time. Now that I regularly check things are going much better with little to no waste.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I was brought up in a home where a roast provided meals until the middle of the week. It's a great way to eat economically. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. My mom could stretch a cut of meat until it mooed, squealed, or cackled. I only wish I could do the same.

      God bless.

      Delete