Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Past Week In The Kitchen And Garden

The past week has been a busy one in the kitchen and garden. Harvesting has begun in earnest and processing everything that comes out of the garden is taking some time away from other projects.

First off I made relish.

This is Harveys' moms recipe which is wonderful. After having the chopped veggies sit overnight,  and draining them come morning the rest of the ingredients were added and cooked down.

I ended up with 11 full jars and one about half full. The half full one went into the fridge, the rest still need labeling and then storing away.

Picking beans was next on the list of harvest/kitchen jobs.

Right now we are eating the beans almost as soon as we pick them. This bag will give us a couple of meals now that they are washed and snipped. I have stored them in a bag in the fridge.

It was back out to the garden to pick yet more cucumbers (what on earth will I do with them all???? Pickles in a bucket coming up).

A few left over from relish making.

And these that hadn't been added to the bowl as of picture taking time.

I picked three green peppers but two were cut up and eaten with dip. 
So I only have this lonely fellow left to do something with. I think I just might slice it and put him the freezer. He will be joined by friends very soon.

I even managed to pick this small bowl of strawberries.
Harvey managed to gobble all these down pretty much right away.

I noticed lots of jalapenos, cayenne peppers and little green peppers. Should be picking lots of those. 

Tomatoes are eaten as fast as they ripen right now, but I am sure I will have lots to make salsa or freeze very soon.

Cucumbers will be gathered again by the end of the week. Some will be sliced to be eaten with dip, others gifted to those without gardens, and yet others made into those pickles in a bucket.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. The garden bounty waits for no one! I've canned beans, my favorite. Rhubarb, raspberries and kale have been frozen. The next big canning project will be the tomatoes when they're ready. Right now, I'm enjoying fried green tomatoes. I even managed to clean the cold room in anticipation of restocking the shelves. There will be peaches to can next week. I'll make a batch of jam as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried fried green tomatoes. Perhaps that is something I should add to the bucket list.

      Tonight I freeze blueberries and clean out my pickles in a bucket jar so those can be made tomorrow.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ummm....this all looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ. Seems like once the garden starts coming in my life revolves around the kitchen.

      God bless.

      Delete