Thursday, August 4, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 


Perhaps the most thrifty thing I have done this week is replace my cell phone. The old one was expanding and I couldn't get the back on it any longer. I taped it closed so I could still use it, but Kris figured there was something going on with the battery and whatever it was could become a fire hazard very soon. Replacing seemed to be the most thrifty way to behave. After all that cost was way less than perhaps replacing our home. 

I was under our grocery budget by quite a bit. Shopping sales, working on using things up in the freezer and pantry seems to be working in my favour. As well as only shopping every two weeks as shopping every week seemed like I was adding things to the cart all the time. However I will be replacing a few things and purchasing a few items in order to have more meatless meals (trying to add at least two more a month). I have added purchases of dried beans, lentils and peas to this next grocery shop. 

The garden is starting to produce cukes, beans, and peppers. Today I made my first two quarts of dill pickles. I always have to do this in bits as our garden while fairly large isn't large enough that I can do 12 or 14 quarts at once. Hopefully I reach my quota for this year very quickly. It actually works out to be less expensive than purchasing and I know exactly what is in them.

I am slowly but surely decluttering my closet and drawers. It is not thrifty or frugal to have things that I am not happy wearing or that do not fit my lifestyle. While I would love to sell them and get some cash, there are those out there that can not afford to clothe and feed themselves so donating what I no longer wear or find suitable is thrifty to me. Those items too worn are being made into rags and any usable fabric will be saved and used to make quilts in the future. 

Using our money wisely is what enables us to help Kurt and Kris when they need the help, and take some lovely trips.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. You are so right about so many things! I too seem to add more to the cart when I go more often to the grocery store. I'm trying to work on keeping up our protein...read that that is an issue for older folks. But we are not the meat eaters we used to be it seems. I gave a huge bag of clothes and household items to the Value Village last visit and they give a 20% coupon for doing that. How wonderful to be getting some produce from your garden. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a good week it sounds like to me on multiple fronts. I think I'm doing better becauses I'm not physically going to the store. Every since Covid, I've done order groceries on line and do curbside pick up. I think it causes me to think more about what I'm buying instead of just throwing things into the cart. We seem to have less waste, less go bad and better meals. I love Dill Pickles, enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that shopping less frequently is definitely a money saver. It's amazing how much stuff jumps into the cart. :)
    Enjoy your new phone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to do tomatoes that way as they are the only thing I can. But I just do 2 03 three quarts at a time and it adds up.
    I can outside so it does not heat up the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie,
    ...it's been a while since I've been able to comment...I could read your blog...just not comment...I love to read frugal ideas...I think that doing InstaCart has really helped me with my overbuying tendencies...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across a tip regarding clothing and the weeding thereof and I'm currently trying it. All they suggested was turning all the hangers to the 'wrong' side and then, as you wear something, hang it 'right' way to. Then, when the season is over you can tell at a glance what has been worn and what hasn't.

    ReplyDelete