Friday, November 24, 2023

Frugal Friday

 


Wow, it is hard to believe we have almost reached the end of the month. Considering that the 1st of December is on Friday I need to get my menu plan done for December, as well as the extra cleaning tasks and some goals listed. Crunch time is coming fast.

So what frugal things have been happening on the old homestead this week.

1.  I have had 6 no spend days this month. Harvey on the other hand has had 3 spend day. I can control me, can't control him.

2.  Finished another Christmas gift using some leftover fabric from those I bought from the United Church fabric sale.

3.  Furnace still not turned up, and while it can be a bit chilly in the morning wrapping myself in a shawl first thing in the morning wards off that chill.

4.  Purchased a great deal of meat that will in fact lasts us a couple of months with what I already have in stock. This should enable me to purchase on sale items as they turn up.

5.  Sewing myself some clothing replacements as I cleared out the wardrobe over the past few months. I need some capris, winter dresses, and perhaps a skirt or two. I am actually going to try my hand at making a pair of wrap pants for the summer.

6.  Many of the gifts for the boys I am making from scrap fabric or pulling from items (like dishcloths) that I made last year and stored away.


Of course the usual is happening. I am using up leftovers before heading to the freezer, purchasing food that is on sale, stocking up (though Christmas baking could be a problem as we have a sugar shortage happening), and watching what I spend and where I do that spending. 

I still have almost $240 on the Visa gift card I won so I need to spend that very soon. I may just use a bit on me and then spend a bit on the boys and Harvey. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

12 comments:

  1. The last of the Christmas baking happened this afternoon - the much-coveted butter tarts. Resident Chef and I find them too sweet for our taste so it's no hardship to give them all away. This year RC listened to me and only made half his normal amount. We counted them carefully and we'll have just enough -provided we don't break any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even really started. Just made a bit of a list and hope to work on it a bit over the next few days or weeks.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Good job for the month! Yes, it is hard to believe it will be Dec. in no time. Time is flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to shake my fist and yell, "Slow down."

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I love readying your Frugal Friday posts. They are so homey and reassuring. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. Many a time I think I must be boring people with my posts.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. You should use a lot of your gift card on yourself Jackie, as a reward for your frugality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used it a bit earlier to purchase some tank tops, a pair of sandals, and a pair of sneakers. Not sure if I really need anything else this year.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. I've been working on my menu plan for December too. We've not turned on our main heat either although I did turn it on in the bathroom for about 5 minutes to take the chill out of that room. We are having leftovers for dinner and the rest will be going into the freezer. I hope you have a very nice weekend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Started planning my December menu today. I think I have it under control now... I even put in a night out to celebrate my birthday and our Anniversary (a little early).

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that gift card would be burning a hole in my pocket. I don't think I'd be able to stop myself using it if I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are very restrained to not have used the gift card. It would be burning a hole in my pocket. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from spending it.

    ReplyDelete