Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Thrifty Tuesday

This will not go down as the most thrifty of weeks. Why is it that things always seem to break down when you least expect it. More about this later.

I have been busy using things up and storing the excess food from roasts and such in the freezer.

Did some hand hemming on a pair of Harvey's dress pants.

Turned a collar, or two as well as darned a couple pairs of my socks.

I have been working on next years planner, using up paper from when I used to work. I just may have enough to last a few more years. I use an old binder and a few pages and 2 calendar pages printed out on the printer, then lined paper for the days chores (the page holds 4 days lists). To buy one costs around $12.00, my version costs at the most $2.00.

Now for the not so thrifty things.

We bought a new TV stand for the living room, which Harvey will pick up tomorrow. This one has an electric fireplace insert so when things get a bit chilly I can turn it on. Eventually we will mount the TV on the wall giving me a bit more room to place some pictures and such on the top.

Then while making supper (I use the microwave to partially cook the potatoes for scalloped potatoes and ham) my 20 year old microwave gave up the ghost. Since I use this appliance all the time this means I will need to replace it as soon as possible. I only hope which ever one I manage to buy lasts as long as this one did.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.







7 comments:

  1. I think that all sounds pretty thrifty myself. Thrift isn't about not spending: it's also about living within your means, spending wisely and using what you have carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tv stand sounds great, shame about the microwave though - but at least they're at the less expensive end of kitchen appliances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the usual 3 things in a row going wrong does not happen. I am hopeful of finding a new microwave on sale this week.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. You can tell it is getting near Christmas when domestic appliances start giving up the ghost. Last year it was my cooker and fridge/freezer. This year the shower and my iron. I think they do it in December on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine either pick December or the hottest day of the year (in the case of the air conditioning) to go.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. The tv stand & fireplace does sound lovely. Hope you find a great microwave replacement on sale but I have to say that 20 years use from an appliance is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I'm pretty sure you won't find another that has lasted as long as your microwave. Thankfully, they are must less expensive than they once were.

    The TV stand sounds very nice!

    ReplyDelete