Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday Ramblings

A quiet day here on the old homestead. I finished moving all my wardrobes around, something that needs to be done twice a year because of our weather. 

As I was moving my spring and summer clothes into closet and drawers I came to a conclusion. All I really need to sew is a couple pairs of shorts and perhaps a pair or two of capris. All the fabric I pulled to work with will be sorted and returned to storage. As I have so little to sew, I will probably stick with getting a denim quilt for outside done and a couple of other quilts sewn to use up many of the fabric scraps. After all can one ever have too many quilts?

I will also stick with working on my cross stitch projects this summer. I hope to get a few completed as well as some knitting for Christmas gifts. Perhaps some odds and ends of sewing as well after all it keeps me busy and out of trouble for the most part.

The past week I have been thinking about how the world is going to be once lock down is over. In everything I have read the scientists are warning that this social distancing thing could and probably will be a regular occurrence. This gives me some concern and really makes me want to extend the garden or perhaps grow even more food in containers. I will be making a list of what I want to stock up on. Never again do I want to be caught low on any ingredient. Seeing empty shelves scares me, nothing in my life compares to this time at all. We have never had limits on what we can purchase, rarely have the people in my life had to worry where their next meal was coming from or how to keep a roof over their heads and still pay bills. 

I have never had to spend this much money to buy just the regular things needed for our daily life and when I managed to buy items on sale back in the past, well they really seemed to be on sale. Now the sale price is what we used to see as the regular cost. 

Before I was worried about inflation, now I am more worried about deflation and our money being worth pennies on the dollar. I do not want to see my country become like others where a loaf of bread costs more than a weeks salary. 

Time to pull the belt tighter, get used to stretching things (both food and clothing) as far as one possibly can. 

There is a bright side to this. People will be shopping for clothing and such in second hand stores or garage sales (providing second hand stores open once again). Being frugal will become the norm and hopefully there will be no more "Keeping up with the Jones's". I hope we have learned to be kinder to others, to realize all have a role to play in making this world a better place. Perhaps people will even go back to doing new things like baking bread, mending their clothing, combining trips to save gas and realizing new is not necessarily better. I also hope that people have learned we only have one world and we need to look after it.

Here is hoping for a bright new world and a future of endless possibilities.

Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. The Jones are probably mired in debt. I am so used to being frugal it is ok we are on reduced salaries to weather the storm. I had food insecurity as a kid so this is difficult on my brain (due to my father leaving Mom with 2 little kids and fled to the USA deadbeat dad, Mom without a job) but I think I have stocked up enough. Every time I say that though I need to stock up more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am hoping for a bright new world once this is all over. Where neighbours help one an other and brings out the best in people. Where we look out for each other. I am ever hopeful. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you grow things like beans, grains and seeds? Stuff to store through the winter? I am. I never grew sesame seeds but I'm excited to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete