Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Midweek Again

 Here is hoping that Blogger doesn't decide to change my formatting again.


I was asked where we were that it was so cold. We were in Riding Mountain National Park in southern Manitoba. One morning we woke up to a temperature of 3C. Not the best start to the morning.

While there we did two hikes and had to cancel the third. I will explain why later on.


The first day there we did the marsh hike, one that we have always done every time we go. There is always something different to see.


Strangely enough this is the first time we have seen residents in the marsh. We watched these ducks for quite awhile. They seemed to like diving whenever I wanted to take a picture.... Had to be very quick so it isn't a very good one. 


I also found wild hazel nuts on the trail back. Lots of wild raspberries as well, but I didn't manage a picture of those.


Many a path that muskrats and beavers used to enter the marsh.



Lots of lovely wild flowers as well graced the trail that led to the floating paths.


The start of the marsh itself. Surprisingly there were no mosquitoes this time around. Lots of flies though and children catching small fish and loads of blood suckers. One wouldn't want to be in that water for very long. Ewww.



One of the many floating pathways through the marsh.



There were signs along the way telling us about a few of the marshes inhabitants.



And a beautiful, peaceful shot from a outlook point.


Two days later we though we would take the hike from the marsh along the shoreline of the lake however we were met with this sign just as we started.....


Click on the picture and you will see why we decided to do the marsh trail once again.... Sorry I do not want to meet a bear on the trail with no place to run. It was bad enough that the people in the cabin across the lane from us told me there was a bear sniffing around our cabin one night. 


More pictures another day. This time of our trip to Dauphin and the sights we took in there.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


11 comments:

  1. I'd avoid the bear too! The marsh are is interesting - it looks like a great place to walk and enjoy nature. I remember blood suckers from when I was a kid - I'd freak out every time one got on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures. Gee, it still sounds awfully cold for this time of the year. I have a hard time comprehending things like that when it is so hot so many places!!!! Hard to imagine even flies in the cold!
    I would not want to face a bear either - smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much other stuff to see without going where there might be bears. It looks nice and peacefull there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my ! No bears for me either. I remember when we used to visit my daughter in Northern BC there were often bears around, which frightened me. What an interesting area you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might have given the trail a miss too, though it would be cool to see one. Looks like a very beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, Jackie. It looks like a wonderful time! As for bears, we have them where I live, along with bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions and wolves. My husband saw a javalina (wild boar) a few weeks ago when returning from an errand. I don't hike anymore. Nice that you were able to see such beauty! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  7. The marsh floating trails look beautiful and interesting! Bears are a challenge when one wants to enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! I can see why there were no mosquitoes as it was so cold there. You are smart to beware of the bears too. I don’t trust them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's why we don't go on trails unless we have bear spray packed. I've come across bears on 2 different hikes. One time, there was a creek between us and she had cubs. As I approached (feeling as if the creek would protect me) to get a photo of her cubs, she got up on two legs and looked at me. I then had to back away very slow...until she felt safe. Afterwards, thinking about how easy it would have been for her to charge me - coming across the creek. Another time we were out hiking and up ahead, crossed over another Mama and her cubs - they had the right a way so we just let them pass as we stood frozen. Around here, our black and Brown bears haven't attacked anyone in decades. Plus a forest ranger once told us, the flesh of humans is distasteful to bears. They would only attack if they felt threatened or was protecting their young. Oh another time we weren't sleeping in a tent at Sequoia National Park next to a waterfall and I woke up to a bear sniffing around our tent. Thankfully we stored our food in the lockers. They can be a real nuisance when it comes to people food. The mountains lions are the ones I don't trust at all - they stalk their prey and watch you. There are many mountain lion attacks in our area.

    Your photos are beautiful. It does look nice and cool and I'd take that now. Don't like the mosquitoes. They love me. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. Nice to get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm certainly with you on avoiding the bear path! We have enough unknowns in our life, why add more? 😄

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would have opted to go in the other direction too. Don't think I can run faster than a bear. Interesting to note that there weren't many mosquitoes...wonder why. Not that I would be complaining!

    ReplyDelete