Saturday, January 11, 2014

Keeping Up With My Monthly Goal

It was a quiet day on the old homestead. I went to the library, and had a bit of a walk. Did some tidying and reusing of items around the house. I have started the "shop at home first" mindset this year. Hope to keep up with it for the entire year.

First off I will share a picture of how far along I am in my rug project.

So far it seems to be coming along nicely. Just hope I have enough leftover yarn to complete it. I really doubt that I could find matching colours any more.

Now, as you all know my goal this month is to make at least two new recipes. I just made my second tonight. This one used up a bag of my leftover turkey. Both Harvey and I really liked it. Has a pretty good kick to it, and now that I have made it once I think I figured out some add ins that are not in the recipe.

Here it is before I put it in the oven.

Here it is when I took it out after 1 1/2 hours baking.
Next time I make this (and there will be a next time) I plan on adding mushrooms and chopped green pepper.

Here is the recipe.

Southern Turkey Casserole

2 tbsp margarine or butter
1 medium chopped onion
3 cups chopped cabbage
2 cups chopped leftover turkey
1 cup uncooked rice
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups tomato juice
14 oz can tomatoes broken up

Melt margarine in large frying pan on medium. Add onion (this is where I plan on adding chopped green pepper next time as well). Cook for 5 to 10 mins or until onion is softened. Turn into greased 3 quart casserole.

Add next 8 ingredients (think I would add a can of mushrooms at this point). Stir well.

Pour tomato juice and the tomatoes over top. Stir, cover. Bake at 350 F for about 1 1/2 hours until rice and cabbage are tender.

Serves 6. Actually I think it is more serves 4 generously.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you decide to give it a try.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment