Thursday, October 21, 2021

Thursday Tidbits

 

As winter gets closer and closer I am so thankful for my warm home. They had a news report on homelessness and how hard it is for those living in tents. One lady said that she finally got a place to move into and is so looking forward to it.

I don't think some of us really realize how lucky we are. Our frugal habits enable us to live wonderful lives. While we may not have the "best" we have everything we need. A roof over our heads, clothing for our bodies, food for the table and family that we love and love us in return. We are rich when compared to others.

My frugal habits enabled us to pay off our home 15 years before it would have been paid off if we just paid what was owed on the mortgage. At that time my husband still was not on board but has finally became more frugal as time has passed. Sometimes now I think he might almost verge on being cheap in certain areas. Still I feel that between us we have managed to keep a very lovely life during retirement. 

I did the leading of my lesson today at the Bible study. It went not too badly, however it ended early once again. I guess one can ask only a certain number of times if anyone has any questions or anything they wish to share that struck them. I was told I did a wonderful job though so that makes me very happy.

Once home I finished sandwiching the quilt. I look at the quilts that many of you make and wonder if I will ever be that proficient. Mine are very simple in comparison, though I have in mind something totally different for the next one I make. Picture of the finished quilt and those scarves will come hopefully on Saturday.

I started the knitted blanket last night, and had trouble keeping the number of stitches that were necessary (or at least the number they said I should have...could it be a pattern error?), so I pulled it back and started a pattern that I have used countless times. That one is going better and I will go back to work on it after this post.

I am loving how dark it gets so very early. I close the drapes, light some candles, and turn on the fake fireplace (no heat, just the light). Snuggle into my chair and knit for an hour or so. This is probably the thing I like the best about the colder months of the year.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


6 comments:

  1. You are so right in what you say about being thankful for what we have. We have a very small home but we were able to scrimp and save so we could pay it off before we retired. Otherwise I don't think we would have be able to retire. I give thanks for our home every day. It breaks my heart to see the homeless, especially in the winter. I'm sure you did very well today leading your lesson at Bible Study. I know you have been preparing for it for a while now. I'm sure everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Jackie. Many of us don't realise just how truly blessed we are.

    Well done on paying off your mortgage early.

    I need to learn how to quilt. I have a quilting sewing machine, but never had the time to learn more about quilting. I just do some basic sewing with it.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being thankful is something we all need to remember and practice every day. And remember - maybe your quilts aren't as elaborate as some but they're made with love and that's what counts.
    As for the duration of the bible study - I suspect the short time frame is a reflection of the fact that most people simply aren't comfortable being out in groups any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like it getting dark earlier too as I can get all snug and cozy without feeling guilty. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is admirable to pay off one's mortgage before retirement, but in my case, it would not have made sense. The interest I've paid on my variable rate mortgage is lower than the income I've earned on my investments.

    I do wish I'd been more frugal in years past, but on the other hand I was able to travel, visiting so many wonderful places - the memories are priceless. So, there are trade-offs. I am grateful that I have the means to continue to pay the mortgage and bills on this property. I definitely have learned to be more frugal through the pandemic and that's been a bonus.

    My mother was a quilter, but I've never learned. To me it's an art form and I appreciate those who create theses pieces.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your life style, it is so calming to me.AND I do feel for those who are homeless. I have a brother who is in jail right now and will probably go to prison, and I am grateful as he will not be living under a bridge this winter. It is so sad. I CAN HAVE NO CONTACT WITH HIM BECAUSE HE IS SO VIOLENT.

    ReplyDelete