Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits And Stuff

 

I have spent the last two days going out very early in the morning (wearing my hat of course) and again in the early evening (hat once again), to do my harvesting and watering. I do go over to my friends and water her plants early in the morning, the walk does me good and once home I have a bit of breakfast.

The rest of each day I have spent preparing what I have harvested. I am trying to get as much of the garden done as I possibly can. I made cherry jam this week, another batch of cherry pie filling, and have dehydrated lots of herbs. Soon it will be time to start making dill pickles, pepper jelly, mint jelly, and using all those infused oils in salves and lotions. There are still a few infused oils I want to get started, but mint needs drying for teas this winter, plus fresh for the mint jelly. Once those are completed, mint infused oil will be made. I hear it is great for headaches and after suffering with a few this week I am ready to try anything.

I still have a few cherries left and will make some cherry muffins using the toaster oven at some point tomorrow. The cherries need to be used before they go bad and I am almost out of breakfast muffins. 

Today, as I was weaving, Harvey said that his back was aching just watching me, and I should order the loom stand. I have done so, and I think I will say this is my Christmas gift this year, and if Harvey wants to put something under the tree, he can make me a few more shuttles of different lengths. 

I am still seriously considering purchasing a spinning wheel sometime in the future. I will continue to save my allowance and see if in a couple of years I still want to do so. Those are actually more expensive then my loom was so saving as much as possible before purchasing is the sensible thing to do. 

As all of you have probably noticed, I did not post a menu this week.... Mainly because with the harvesting, prep work and getting some cleaning done things are not being made in the order I chose at the beginning of the month. I am just mixing up things, still cooking the weeks menus, just on different days. Two of those meals will be large batches so as to have some ready meals for busy days.

The air conditioner is working overtime, the past three weeks have been extremely hot, so trying to save in other ways. As usual leftovers are stretched into new meals, and I am continuing to use appliances to cook when appropriate, and Harvey is BBQ ready almost every day. 

Off to set the table and finish our supper (I think that is what you in the UK call tea, though I am not too sure).


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.



6 comments:

  1. Very wise to be protected.
    I went out yesterday with hat, woven bag (cooler to carry than my plastic backpack bag), wearing my exercise legging (walking to class) and, honestly, it was an absolute pattern disaster. But I Didn't Care - it was cooler and that was what mattered!

    Isn't the weaving coming along well. You must be getting considerable pleasure from it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tea' can be different in parts of UK. We always knew it as 4pm, cup of tea and cake. But sometimes it's later and a proper meal, supper in fact! So complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been busy - glad to see you taking precautions to the sun!
    I have a friend who is learning to spin yarn. She finds it very relaxing - but said it isn't as easy as it looks!
    Those meals that just happen is my house every day! They can be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you about the AC working overtime.
    You’ve been so industrious like always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hard work is definitely paying off for the winter months.
    I planted thyme, parsley, and oregano this spring, and it's time to start harvesting that. Since I've never done it before I'll have to read up on the best way to save these.
    Hopefully the weather starts to cool off soon - a little rain would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jackie, you are a busy lady. Love Cherry Pie. This is good weather for working indoors on things which need to be done. Have you ever planted or used Lemon Verbena....lovely.
    a charming scent.

    ReplyDelete