Friday, April 27, 2018

Combining Days.... I Am So Far Behind

Honestly I had a post all planned for Wednesday, but just before I put supper on the table I got a phone call, and not one I was expecting in the least.

Our cities one funeral home called. Now I have known the owner since he was a young lad and never really thought anything other than "Oh I wonder what Dustin wants?" To my surprise the mother (and mother-in-law) of a good friend had passed away that morning. It seems that there was no one to do prayers for the Vigil. I stuttered my way through an answer, it is really hard to say no when you are good friends with most involved. Guess I managed to choke out yes. Then I learned that the Vigil (as we call this in the Catholic church here in Canada) was to take place last night. What!!! Only a few hours to meet with the family, work on the service (music, or if anyone wanted to speak), and come up with a reflection that centered on the readings but still brought in the life of the deceased.

Needless to say I was stressed to the max. Even Harvey noticed, which is absolutely amazing as he usually doesn't notice things of that nature.

Thank heavens I had the book.

I got to practice and got the bare bones of the reflection completed before meeting with the family Thursday afternoon. I managed to flesh out the reflection with anecdotes and comparisons of the deceased's life. Whew. It wasn't my best work, but the people involved were happy with what I managed to put together in so little time. 

I don't know if I will ever do this again (to nerve wracking) but it sure was an experience I will never forget.

On to Frugal Friday.

1.  Windows have been opened during the day to let the lovely fresh air in.

2.  Potted up a few more seeds to plant outside when the time comes.

3.  Used up a few items from the freezer.

4.  Been turning the heat way down during the day and then turning it up at night just before I hit the bed.

5.  Sold my old stove top pressure cooker (I was going to donate it, but noticed someone looking for one on a city garage sale site, may as well bring a bit of cash in).

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Having just lost my mom five months ago, I know that the family really appreciated and will cherish the words and ritual that you prepared and presented. (I'm not sure I'm saying this properly.) They turned to you because you knew the family but also because they knew of your strong faith. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete