Friday, January 7, 2022

Frugal Friday

 

Our cold snap is slowly lifting for a bit. I know we will be back in the deep freeze again, but this coming respite is just lovely. I may even be able to put on the cleats and take a walk outside. The scenery in the house is not quite as pretty or changing.


Anyhow, what frugal things have been happening around here over the past week.

Since the weather has been very cold since Monday I have been staying in and organizing a little bit. This also enabled me to declutter. Some items went into a bag for donation, some got tossed and still others moved back to their rightful place. 

Meals have been made with what is on hand. My pantry is pretty well stocked and the monthly menu does not even touch the replacements I bought. Bring on a blizzard or a mini lock down. Other than milk (and I do have enough until the 16th) we are well supplied.

We have done well at using up food and making sure there is no waste this week.

Clothing where possible was washed in cold and all loads were rinsed in cold. I got three loads on my lines downstairs as well.

I used up the remaining few tea K-cups, and a few of the hot chocolate K-cups as well. I hope to finish the hot chocolate ones this month.

Baked bread, made soup from stock, and cooked from scratch every day (well the rice and beans were a package, but that was the only pre-packaged food this week).

All in all a pretty frugal week.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



9 comments:

  1. Your week sounds great! I'm making a few soups for the freezer this weekend, and treated myself to a sourdough bread to go with my soup meals. I have no objection to making my own bread, but sourdough is my favorite. I try not to eat it (and all bread) too often, so I've never mastered the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT has warmed up here also and is melting, which is good. Making bean soup today yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you managed to get outside for a walk today. We had snow yesterday but just a light covering and it quickly disappeared so we've been out today.
    You've reminded me, Jackie, I must bake some fresh bread and make a cake for the weekend too. No leftovers wasted this week for us either 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have reminded me that I need to get started on my usual January Shovel Out but for some reason my attention wanders to playing with felt and making quiet book pages for the expected grandbaby later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, if it isn't cold, it's snowing. Not sure how much you saw but we had more than I wanted to see. Most of it was from blowing snow but I don't care where it comes from - I'm tired of it.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard for me to do all I want to do - I try and keep an eye on the husband who isn't frugal like I am. Every time he goes to the store he buys something we don't need. I'll be glad when I can drive again and make those grocery runs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're able to get out for a walk. We've had such cold weather the past week that I haven't wanted to go out. I have made a lot of home made soup though. It sounds like you've gotten a lot accomplished while you've stayed in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at my freezer I think we will not need to go shopping for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great week! I'm making chicken soup and bread rolls tomorrow. Don't you just love being fully stocked on groceries? I only need 2 or 3 items at the grocery store next week.

    ReplyDelete