Thursday, December 1, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 


Wow the first day of the month of December, once again another year has whizzed right by. It is almost time to see how I did in thrifty and frugal matters for the year that has passed. But that can wait a week or two.


So, what thrifty things have been happening on the Phillips homestead.

1.  Harvey decided that we were almost out of white wine and so is making a batch. Much less expensive than purchasing the number of bottles the kit makes.

2.  Used some of my points to purchase gift cards to download books onto my ereader. 

3.  Made large batches of a couple of meals. These will be used when things become a madhouse, or I just don't feel like cooking. 

4.  In order to keep the heating costs down I have once again started to make sure I use solar heat on those sunny days to heat the front of the house.

5.  Freezing bits and bobs to make refrigerator soup. 

6.  Darned a pair of socks and fixed a fastening on a skirt.

7.  Put a pillowcase with a frayed top aside to mend once all the gifts are made. If that works, I will be fixing a few other pillowcases as well.

8. Used up 90 4" corduroy fabric squares, and another 180 4" denim squares making this quilt. Made a bit of a dent in the collection for sure. I also used up 12 2" strips of navy fabric I had precut. Still a few more use it ups of my bits and bobs before the quilt is finished.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I love using up fabric from my stash, its so satisfying and makes a bit of space too. I've sat on fabrics for too long, not wanting to cut into them, but making them into something useful allows me to actually enjoy them on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're making great progress on the quilt. That is a lot of cutting and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to go through my stash of fabric, but I never have the time. Maybe I will get a break during January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I seem to have pretty much managed to make most of our gifts with stash I already had - only had to purchase a few balls of yarn in order to finish the grandies sweaters but most of the yarns for those were in my stash already. I fell down on the stash-busting though because DH insisted I order the yarn to make myself a vest and who was I to argue?!

    ReplyDelete