Monday, December 3, 2012

The Smells of Christmas

Around this house the smells of Christmas are usually of the baking or candy making variety.  I think this is because growing up my Mom spent weeks making all sorts of cookies, breads, and slices. The smells when we would arrive home from school were out of this world. Guess I am trying to recreate that memory.

So I have spent the last few days trying to get caught up in these areas. Even though we are traveling to visit with Kurt for Christmas I still want to bring food with me.

First I made my usual shortbread.



Then I moved on to Peanut Brittle. I made the mistake of leaving it where Harvey could graze on it and I think I will need to make another batch.


I made caramels, and Bavarian Mints. The caramels are the first picture and the Bavarian Mints are the second.




I next made Surprise Brittle, the surprise being that the base is made of soda crackers.


Butter tarts were next on the list.


Then came Truffles, Chocolate Snowballs and After Dinner Mints. For some reason I think I forgot to take a photo of the Chocolate Snowballs.

Here are the Truffles.


And here are the mints.


I am not finished yet. I would still like to make some Sugar Cookies and Swedish Rosettes and a couple of other items that I remember Mom making all the time. Hope to get those done this week and weekend along with Almond Bark.

So now you know what I have been busy trying to do between subbing at school and running to the church for meetings.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment