Monday, December 17, 2012

Trying To Save

Well here it is getting closer and closer to the end of the year and in the Phillips' household we are holding our own.

It has been a hectic 8 months since Harvey retired and our budget is pretty much done for the year. Seems as if even in retirement there are unforseen expenses. Not that we are in trouble or going to be much over our budget but next year is going to see some tweeking of catagories and costs.

That being said, I am very happy that we have been able to cut back on a few items and hopefully we will be able to cut back a bit more in the next year.

Things I am looking at getting some savings on are groceries, clothing, fuel costs, heating costs and of course electrical costs. Harvey wants to get an energy efficient furnace installed and considering our unit right now is more than likely at least 45 years old that is an excellent idea. An energy efficient furnace could save us quite a bit on heating costs over the next winter, well worth the cost of installing it.

With both of us not working (me only working perhaps 5 days a month) fuel for our vehicles should drop a bit as well. I am getting very good at combining trips and hey, on line banking is great for paying bills without even leaving the house. I am beginning to like it....shh, don't let Harvey know.

Harvey laughs at me as I run around the house shutting off the lights in rooms not in use and making sure our electric heat is off as well if no one is using the room. Now if I could just get him to do the same thing.

Grocery wise we are on a use it up to the last little bit road. So far I have had no complaints and the garbage bin is showing that we are throwing less and less out. Our meals are filling and varied and that is what counts in the long run. Costs are rising though and I am beginning to think that going meatless (or eating some type of fish) twice a week instead of just once could be a big money saver in the long run. I have found some coupon sites and have started to use them, now if I could only find some more freebie sites I would be in seventh heaven.

Harvey is finding little no cost jobs to do around the house and I am busily using up my fabric and yarn stash. The men in my life are getting lots of little handmade gifts this year. I have enough to keep me busy for a very long time. If I need anything at all it is more time in a day to get everything I want done or to try anything new.

Life on the prairies continues to be a challenge, especially the winters, but I am sure that meeting each challenge with joy and willingness as well as the help of the Lord we will get along just fine. In fact I am looking forward to it.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment