Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Thrifty Tuesday

This past week (well for the last 6 days) we have been busy harvesting produce from the garden. I do wish that Harvey would have planted lettuce, but that is fairly inexpensive at the grocery. I can see the next few weeks being busy ones. Relish, pickles, pie filling, dehydrating and freezing will be taking place. While it will be hectic, I do love seeing all the produce processed and ready to be used in the winter.

I took in a skirt today, nice that I have lost enough weight that this is beginning to be necessary. No way will I go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. Give me a seam ripper and my sewing machine along with a little time.

I darned a sock for Harvey. He really likes these socks and since they cost an arm and a leg (okay, maybe just an arm) he allowed me to darn the one he put a tiny hole in.

Laundry was washed and hung on the lines outside. An even bigger saving on our electrical bill is that the last two days it has been cool enough to keep the air conditioning off. Hoping for another few days of this lovely weather. 

I defrosted my fridge (for some reason there is an ice build up on the bottom) and melted the ice. This was used to water a few of my plants today. The others were done with the water in the rain barrel.

Leftovers are being used to make new meals and anything left from there is being used for another meal or for lunches.

All in all a fairly thrifty week......A good thing since we both needed new lenses, and I had a cleaning at the dentist. No cavities though so I am a happy camper.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's time for the garden harvest. The kale will be processed this morning. And beans will be on the agenda in ~3 days. That reminds me; I need to check on canning supplies. Nothing worse than discovering at the last minute that the lid supply is low. Beans and tomatoes are the produce that usually gets processed. I'm doubtful about the tomato crop given the number of blooms on the vines. It's a new variety that I can't recall and it remains to be seen if I would plant it again. I've given up on processing peas; I just stand in the garden and eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you having a veggie patch and the ability to hang out your laundry. Well done on all your savings......

    ReplyDelete