Saturday, November 14, 2020

Saturday Roundup

 


The night draws in much quicker now and the temperature drops, I get up most mornings to a lovely coating of frost on the car windshield. Since I only use the car once a week, I only have to scrape the frost off on my early morning trip to do my shopping. The rest of the time the sun when it is out takes care of the removal for me. 


It has been a very strange week. For months both Harvey and I have been wishing that our provincial government would mandate mask wearing in public enclosed places, and finally on Friday it happened. 


What scares me however is here in our city there has been very little outcry by the anti maskers as of yet. This after what seems like months of them screaming that masks do absolutely nothing to protect from the Covid-19 virus. It makes me wonder what they have up their sleeves.


Our highschool here also went to level 3. This means the students will be divided and only attend school as a new group every second day. When one group is not in school there will be online learning happening. 


This is only going to be for the next 28 days starting on Monday to hopefully bring our numbers down. I do wish they would mandate masks until this is over. 


Other than Harvey suffering a bit of Covid fatigue, things are much the same as usual. I keep working on projects, cleaning the house and going for walks. Anything helps to keep one reasonably sane during these times. Now that winter is here we can no longer work in the yard (until the snow deepens and the shoveling and snow blowing begins) so Harvey is stuck inside a bit longer. He has been going for an afternoon walk, and I plan on pulling out his "Happy Light" and getting that set up tonight or tomorrow morning.


I finished my pouch for my phone and tonight I just finished the mug rugs. I do need to work in the ends though. Tomorrow I am going to work on getting envelopes made for my Christmas cards and even hopefully get some ready to be mailed. I will draw a new project number to work on sometime Monday.


Christmas baking will begin very soon, and I have managed to stock up on a few items for that purpose. I make very few cookies now (Harvey and I really don't need them) but I love making candy. Brittles, almond bark, peanut butter cups, mints, chocolate dipped pretzels, and other sweet treats abound here at Christmas. I make squares as well. Of course I share with Kurt and Kris, but as they all say, I do go a bit overboard. 


I still don't know if we will join the family get together for Christmas Day. There are never any cousins present so the evening is probably quite boring for our sons. They have never complained about sitting with the old folk, but I am sure I have seen a few eye rolls every so often. Also I am not sure how many people will be attending and since we have to stay at 10 people gathering, that could be a problem. I do have some time to think about it and make a decision.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.


God bless.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping busy. I love the sound of your Christmas treats, the various candy sounds delicious. I am so thankful that we have to wear masks here, I do feel a lot safer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you say you and Harvey don't 'need' the cookies but you will be making all the good candies and treats! I'm with you, girl!! :)
    I didn't realize that masks weren't mandated in your area, ours has been for any public place for some time now. Stay well, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masks are obligatory here in shops and other closed places. Many people wear them out of doors too. I always do.
    You have a huge variety of Christmas treats!
    Letter arrived, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth started watering at the list of goodies you make for Christmas. I always make shortbread, it's a family favorite. I've definitely cut back in the past few years, though make enough to share with my brother's family.

    I'm worried about the Covid numbers, we're way too high for my comfort level here in Regina especially. The anti-maskers were out this week, and a group of high school students showed up to counter protest. Good on the young people, they will lead us into the future.

    Take care, stay well. Perhaps Harvey should take up knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie you have a continuous list of things to do. I love the way you get on with things. Like you I wish out Govt would announce mask wearing in all public areas and not just shops. This is something we need to get used to for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for keeping yourself so busy. I have good productive days and then days that are less so at the moment. Glad I did the garden before the weather got very wet here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to holiday baking. Not that I need to eat it, but this covid has really got me blue. Thank goodness for babies and children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are making cookies next weekend, unknown date yet for surgery (maybe Dec 22) so all Christmas has been kicked into high gear. Shopping is almost done, indoor decorating done, need to do some baking, some outdoor lights (hubby finishing) and help Mom with her tree (takes 1 hour so not big job). Now we can enjoy the lights of the season which are my favorite part. Maybe I should make some brittle...

    ReplyDelete