Saturday, November 26, 2022

Saturday Roundup


 No pictures today of how far I have gotten on various projects. Hopefully tomorrow.

Today will be more of a roundup of a few frugal tips and tricks that we use around the Phillips Homestead.



All of us are concerned about rising costs (inflation) and perhaps a depression occurring. 

Those of us that have been frugal and thrifty are perhaps a bit more ready if things get bad, but many (I know lots of people that are still spending on extras and then complaining they have no money in the bank) are not thinking ahead to what may occur. My friend and her Hubby are in this category. Complain about rising prices, say they don't have the money but buy it any way on credit or on their line of credit with the bank. 

So, what are the frugal tips we use here on the homestead and use all the time. More will be shared later.


1.  We grow most of our own herbs and vegetables. Slowly adding various fruits to the garden and yard. 

2.  I have started to cook more meatless meals (or use very little meat as in soups).

3.  I have always cooked from scratch. Very little comes from a mix. Can't remember when I made Kraft Dinner from a box, I started making my own many years ago.

4.  I freeze, can or dehydrate all that I can.

5.  I am learning how to forage and slowly gaining experience in this area.

6.  Save bacon grease to cook with. It adds a unique flavour to whatever you cook.

7. Use your leftovers. Learning to use everything really stretches those grocery dollars.

8.  Use older fruit to make jams and jellies.

9.  Layer up rather than turn up the heat. Add blankets to the bed at night.

10.  Use bread bags, hand towels and the waxed paper like holders in cereal boxes to wrap things up. I also use beeswax covers that I made a few years ago.

11.  Mend your clothing. 

12.  Wear clothing more than one day.

13.  In warmer weather collect rainwater to use to water the gardens.

14.  Compost all that you can to add nutrients to the garden.

15.  Save your scraps from clothes to wood. You never know when and how you can reuse something.  I always remove zipper, buttons and snaps from clothing that I am going to cut up into reusable fabric or rags.

16.  Any old blankets are used as the middle of quilts. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless. 

7 comments:

  1. Excellent tips. I remember my grandma had these sackcloth type towels. Back then they didn’t have paper towels or Saran Wrap and she would spread the towel on counter, and peel her potato’s in it - then pick it up and dump it in the trash. She also used those towels to wrap biscuits in or to cover food.

    A lot of that is coming back to me in memories. There really are many ways to economize.

    Yes I know a few who spend and complain as well. Keeping a balance on credit cards is not wise. I’m afraid many will have far more hard times just because they refuse to heed sound advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful, thanks, Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good tips there. We also have friends who are always complaining about having no money, but think nothing of spending out on stupid things like an outside wooden bar to serve drinks from for the party they have once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tips. For #8, we freeze & then have fruit options for smoothies, which are a big hit after practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great frugal tips in there Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apartment life eases some of the challenges. For instance, our heat is included in our rent so if we want to crank it up a bit we can. We don't eat bacon (who can afford it?) so no grease to use there and I can't handle eating greasy food anyway so that's a good savings. Resident Chef was mending a pair of socks this morning - not my idea of a good time!
    A tip to add to your list - save all your Christmas cards for next year, cut the message part off, and use the cards for gift tags.

    ReplyDelete