Friday, September 6, 2024

Cooler Mornings

 


I am loving the cooler mornings, hot coffee or tea chases the chill away and gets me moving. 

What also gets me moving is knowing that this above freezing temperatures will not last forever, frost is surely coming. That means getting as much done in the garden as is possible, and getting the house ready for winter's chilly, snowy days. 

I am hoping to get most of the garden in before we leave, and once back I believe Harvey will do a bit of cleaning up of the yard, and winterizing the house. Definitely some new caulking around windows and doors as well as some replacement of door sweeps. 

I am still working on stocking up just in case we have an icy or blizzardy winter. Our street gets drifted in badly when we have a storm so being prepared for that type of weather is a must. 

I also think about making a couple more quilts for us, getting batteries, purchasing more candles, and making sure I have enough fuel for our camp stove. Our power has been known to go off for hours and being able to make a cup of instant coffee, or have a bowl of soup would be wonderful. Heck a person can even do a roast on a camp stove in a dutch oven. This is the time of year that we make sure our phones are fully charged every day, and that our laptops are as well (you can add in the fully charged ereader as well). 

Meals will become much hardier, as the winter weather draws in. I need to stock up on some turnips, kohlrabi, carrots, and cabbage. I am going to add some squash in here as well. Can easily store squash and such in the cold room and the kohlrabi, carrots, can be made freezer ready. 

I am planning on taking some of our extra garden produce up to Kris so that he can try out his pressure canner. Mostly beans and probably a few tomatoes as well. While we are visiting I will check out the cost of a large bag of carrots and perhaps purchase that for him as well. I think I may cut some herbs to take to him as well to dehydrate. 

Kurt on the other hand will need to take ready canned or dehydrated things home at Thanksgiving. I am also worried that a strike will take place in his province. They have never had one before, but have been without a contract for awhile, and Danielle Smith, much like Scott Moe, would prefer people to send their children to a "Christian" school. That does not include Catholic Schools where Kurt teaches. 

I have spent some time trying to get my friend here in the city to prepare for winter. Usually she says she wants to do just that, but her husband butts in and says there is nothing to worry about..... Yes there is. These are the same couple that seem to always be "broke" before the end of the month when all their pensions arrive. I have given up, I am no longer going to even try. 

I was asked by Magpie if I was the person dehydrating tomato skins and yes I am. I use the powder to add flavour to soups and roasts. I would love to have more ideas on how to use the powder if you have them. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

9 comments:

  1. I save and dry tomato skins also, I use in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce and when I mix up meatballs and meatloaf.
    I need to look up more ways to use them also. I wonder if when I make taco salad meat if I could put some in with the homemade seasoning mix for a flavor boost.

    I know a lot of people like that, but I just keep "doing my thing". Winter is one reason I stockpile, the fear of civil unrest is also a reason. It may be an unfounded fear but I still have it...
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a lady dehydrating tomatoes on You Tube the other day Jackie - she did about 6 trays of them then made jars of sundried tomato with garlic, olive oil etc. I remember at the end of summer, really enjoying the cooler mornings too - I don't like the heat of summer anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trips about stocking up for winter are good ones. I should make a habit of making sure all the devices are fully charged at all times.
    Re the use for tomato powder, here's the quote... "To use for paste, mix 1 part powder to 1 part water. It's that easy. In the alternative, the powder can be added by the spoonful to soups or other dishes to enhance the flavor". She uses it as a replacement for tomato paste in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hot cup of tea is perfect to chase those chills away. I'm also thinking of making a quilt/blanket for the cold winter ahead. I like my bed piled high with blankets when it is so cold outside.

    I picked up a big cabbage the other day, but really want to get some more carrots, a couple of five pound bags at least as they are the most affordable here.

    Trader Joe's makes a pizza seasoning that calls for dried tomatoes. They sell dried tomatoes on Amazon for a pretty penny. Your peels would be perfect in a seasoning like that. If you scroll down on this page, you can see the ingredients they use to make it.

    https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/pizza-sprinkle-seasoning-blend-074734

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reading of your preperations, it reminded me of the children's story about the little ant who went about preparing for winter. The other ants scoffed at him, much like your friend's husband, but when the snow and cold came they came looking for help.
    I'm enjoying the cooler mornings too, as I can get out and weed before the heat of the afternoon. Though it appears this wave will be short, a mere three days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope winter doesn't come too early but it's always good to be prepared. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I am enjoying slightly cooler weather here in London at the moment. I'm an autumn baby, so love this season probably more than any other. If I lived in your climate, I too would be prepping for the winter. It sounds like a very sensible thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes, you just can't help people. I find that frustrating, because, deep down, don't we all know that common sense has a place? But, not everyone is able to step out of the moment & think of the future.

    We are definitely still having chilly mornings, but a lot of sun during the day. I'm heading on a hiking trip tomorrow to Utah, where apparently it will be HOT! Not excited about the heat. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound well prepared, and it sounds like it is quite necessary in your area.

    ReplyDelete