Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits and Stuff

 


The day started off so foggy that I could not see down the hill into the valley. My morning walk was a bit eerie as you couldn't see the other walkers until they were almost right on top of you. 

Once home from that, I headed out to the garden to pick. Figured I would start with the beans and then move to other fresh items. Big mistake as the bowl quickly filled with green beans. Probably missed a bunch, but I did get enough to freeze 4 bags and put away some to go with one of our meals this week.


After getting the beans processed and a bit of the household cleaning tasks completed, I headed back out to the garden. I picked an eggplant, some jalapeno peppers and some green bell peppers. Those are still waiting for me to decide on what to do with them. 


 I also picked some more of the never ending supply of cucumbers. I need to look up some cuke recipes, I could dehydrate them, but I did that once before and cucumber chips are not my favourite thing to snack on I found.


I think that after supper I may head out and pick tomatoes. Perhaps Salsa making will take place either tomorrow or Thursday. Got to get Harvey to pull some onions.

So in other words just the usual wash, rinse and repeat day here on the old homestead, especially at this time of the year. 

I am getting very close to having the rug finished. I will post a picture of the finished project very soon. The loom will then be put away so I can work on some sewing projects for awhile. 

Decluttering with a purpose is continuing and I am hopeful of making quite the dent in stash items when I make gifts for this Christmas, and I would like to have a couple of house warming gifts made as well. 

Supper tonight will be Broccoli Cheese Soup and there should be enough leftover ham steak to make some ham salad sandwiches. I have some sweet relish to use up and that makes a nice addition to any ham salad I make. Was going to make tuna salad sandwiches, but I need to work on using up the bits and bobs a bit more. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



8 comments:

  1. Your harvests aways put mine to shame, that eggplant looks prize winning! ;)
    I love broccoli cheddar soup and I love ham salad with relish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I remember reading that you deydrate the tomato skins and turn them into powder for winter storage and then reconsituted later on? If it's not you and you're interested one of the other bloggers posted about it and I can tell you what she does with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have a large garden, like my mom used to grow. It was a good year for the produce. Too bad it all has to be processed at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your veggies have done really well, much better than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make broccoli and cheese soup too it is delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul from the garden. You could make pickles with your cucumbers. That egg plant looks fabulous. I've not had a veggie garden in a good number of years. With 3 stores within walking distance it just didn't seem necessary; but there is something about fresh veggies for sure from your own garden. I think this would have been a very bad year here to try and have one. We've had far warmer temps for longer than normal, and a whole lot less rain than normal. The grass is brown, and all the flowers in the beds dried up before their time. I just made a big batch of tuna salad yesterday, that should last for quite a few lunches. Looking forward to seeing your rug. I'm still working on my stash as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden seems super abundant this year. Great to freeze so much and be able to eat it throughout the year. The saskatoons look tasty. Do you use them for anything other than making pies?

    ReplyDelete