Friday, February 16, 2024

Recipe Friday

 


So what money saving recipe do I have for you today....

I thought I would do something a bit different and start off with a baked goods one. If you grow your own rhubarb this is a wonderful recipe.

Rhubarb Muffins

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk (you can make your own by adding a tsp of vinegar to 1 cup regular milk)

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or 2 cups frozen (drain some of the liquid off the frozen)


In a large bowl combine flour, soda and salt. In a separate bowl blend sugar with oil, whisk in the egg buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients along with the rhubarb just until flour is incorporated. Spoon into paper lined muffin cups. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and remove from pan. 

These make a lovely breakfast.


Most recipes for rice pudding use uncooked rice. One day I had lots of leftover cooked rice and looked all over for a recipe that used cooked rice (I really like rice pudding).


Rice Pudding

cups cooked rice

1/2 cup raisins (I have been known to leave these out..not a big raisin fan here)

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp cinnamon

2 lightly beaten eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking dish. Mix rice, raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon in the baking dish. Combine eggs with milk and pour over rice mixture. Bake 40-50 minutes until top is lightly browned and pudding is slightly firm to the touch. Serve warm.


I hope you enjoy these.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

5 comments:

  1. I have not had rice pudding for probably 40 years. It was one of my mom's specialities and I can't recall her making it very often.
    The muffins sound delicious too and I suspect one could substitute most fruits (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) Though I love rhubarb it's not a fave of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these both sound delicious, Jackie. Thank you for the recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely recipes, thank you very much indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipes. Our rhubarb patch is the only food item we have growing here, so I have plenty on hand. Will definitely try your rhubarb muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I miss about home ownership is having a rhubarb patch. It's so expensive in the stores so we rarely have it.

    ReplyDelete