Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits And Stuff

 


I am sorry that I did not visit everyone yesterday, but I got some shocking and sad news. In less than a month I have lost 2 cousins, one I really did not know well as Ric was younger than me, but the one last night was about 7 years older and I knew very well. 

It has taken me a bit to come to terms with the fact that my generation is aging and eventually most of my older cousins will no longer be with me. 

While Gloria and I were not what could be considered close, I was great friends with her younger sister, my cousin Terry. I guess I should be thankful that my Aunt let me know via Messenger and was actually the only cousin (other than her family) that was told quite soon after. I believe it was because the three families spent many a Christmas, Thanksgiving, and weekends together while I was growing up. 

Gloria and a friend lived with us for a bit while waiting for their apartment to be ready to move into. They also came quite often to do Mom's hair, for some unknown reason and always stayed for a meal. One time I during a school break, I really wanted to go and visit Terry, and since Gloria (and friend) were going back to Port Colbourne on the train, they invited me along. Took some convincing of Dad, but he finally let me go and said they would be down the next weekend to visit Uncle Arnold and Aunt Sigrid so would pick me up. So much fun watching my gorgeous cousin and her equally gorgeous friend putting those guys that were trying to pick them up in their place. 

The last time I saw Gloria in person was about 15 years ago. She was still the feisty, gorgeous woman I remembered. 

Ric was one of my Uncle Albert's younger children and so I did not have much to do with him. However, we became better acquainted through Facebook and our last family reunion. He was always joking, and had a smile on his face. 

In both cases I did not realize they were ill, or perhaps in Ric's case he had a heart attack (not sure but he was a very large man). 

In Ric's case both Uncle Albert and Aunt Irene passed away before him, but in Gloria's case Aunt Siggy is still alive at the age of 96 (just like an aunt on my Mom's side of the family). 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. Give those you love a hug.

God bless.


 

9 comments:

  1. My sympathies on the passing of your cousins. Your memories of them are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry - it's difficult to lose a family member I know.
    (ps. I'm so sorry I've been MIA when it comes to commenting - life has gotten in the way a little bit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry to read of the passing of your cousins Jackie - that must have been such a shock for you to hear this. Take care of yourself while you are grieving. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear your sad news. It's easy to forget that we're all getting older and won't live forever. It can be comforting to recall good memories of time spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your sadness but those are lovely memories to hold on to and remember. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm glad you have good memories of your cousins. Hugs to you. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete