Thursday, October 25, 2018

Thursday Tidbits

I am not sure if I shared this recipe before but just in case I haven't I am sharing it now.

This is a great way to use up leftover turkey and it almost tastes just like lazy cabbage rolls. Probably better for you as it uses chopped turkey instead of ground beef.

Southern Turkey Casserole from Company's Coming Leftovers

2 tbsp. hard butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chopped cabbage
2 cups leftover cooked turkey chopped
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups tomato juice
14 oz can of stewed tomatoes with juice broken up

Melt margarine or butter in large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often until onions are softened. Turn into greased 3 qt. casserole.

Add next 8 ingredients. Stir well.

Pour tomato juice and tomatoes over top. Stir. Cover and bake at 350 F oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until rice and cabbage are tender.

Serves 6.

Harvey had two helpings he liked it so much. There was enough leftover for another meal for the two of us later on in the week.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. That dish sounds/looks so good. The Company's Coming recipe books are my favorite. Jean Pare came from a community just 40 miles from where I live. I've been off my menu planning game. I did roast a small piece of ham yesterday and made a beet/orange salad that I've been thinking about for weeks. The leftover ham will go into a hashbrown casserole. I'll do a sheet pan supper with sweet potato, leafy greens (kale, spinach, collard greens) & salmon. I really like that President's Choice frozen product as well as the butternut squash and yesterday I found frozen asparagus.

    ReplyDelete