Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Mid Week, Tired and Thinking I Have Over Extended Myself

The days are growing shorter and darkness is decending earlier each day. Soon we will be in the middle of winter.

I said that I would be a leader for the new bible study at the church, but after the meeting tonight I am wondering if I have over committed myself. Two sessions every Thursday for 6 weeks seems like they are asking too much of us in fact the afternoon session was the only one I thought I could do. Looking around the table at the very few who are willing to help, makes one realize that most people do not want to get involved, or at least not involved to this extent. Hopefully I won't break down, throw my hands in the air and say I give up.

Mona was curious about the steak casserole I am planning to make later this week, so I thought I would share the recipe.

Steak and Mushroom Casserole (from Company's Coming Casseroles)

1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. dried mustard

2 lbs sirloin steak cubed (though I have been known to make this with another steak cut, pretty much use whatever is on sale)
4 tbsp. oil

2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion cut up
2 tbsp. white wine or apple cider (I have used apple juice)
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
19 oz can of tomatoes

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Coat cubed meat with flour mixture. Heat oil in frying pan. Brown meat cubes well. Transfer to 2 quart casserole dish.

Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover. Bake in 350 F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.

Serves 6

As it serves so many there will be some leftovers for lunches or even another dinner.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe, Jackie. Company's Coming is a very popular line of cookbooks in this house.

    ReplyDelete