Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Recipe Wednesday

I made a cherry crisp for dessert tonight (and probably tomorrow as well). There are hundreds of crisp recipes around so that is not what I am going to share with all of you. I am going to share my cherry pie filling recipe.

If any of you are lucky enough to have a cherry tree or two this is a wonderful way to use and store the fruit.

Cherry Pie Filling

8 cups of pitted cherries
2 cups water
2 cups of granulated sugar
6 tbsp Minute tapioca
1/2 tsp almond flavouring

Place all ingredients in large pot and stir as you bring to a boil over medium high heat. Pack into hot sterilized jars filling to within 1/2 inch of top. Secure lids. Process in hot water bath for 25 minutes. Makes 2 quarts or enough for two 9 inch pies.

I fill plastic containers, cool and then place in the freezer. I am lucky enough to have two freezers and one is for meat, the other for vegetables and fruit (bread and baking is stored in this one as well).

Tastes like a bit of fall.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie, your cherry filling recipe sounds a lot like what my mom used-- tapioca and almond flavoring-- and her cherry pies did two things for me 1) made cherry pie my favorite pie and 2) made most other cherry pie not quite up to snuff.

    Yours sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete