Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Ramblings

Today is the Baptism of the Lord and this painting depicts this wonderfully.

Father Brian spoke about how Christ actually underwent three baptisms. Water, Blood and Holy Spirit. This makes so much sense now.

Christs first baptism was with water when John the Baptist baptized him. The Gospels say the skies opened and a dove appeared above him. During His time on earth Christ often talked about his second baptism and how he needed to prepare for it. The apostles did not understand until the Crucifixion and the curtain in the Temple was ripped in half from bottom to top. This second baptism, Father Brian explained was the one that opened up the Holy of Holies to end the separation between mankind and God. The third Baptism was one we all took part in, the descent of the Holy Spirit on all those who believe.  

Father Brian ended his homily today with the question "What does your baptism mean to you?" In thinking about this, my baptism means the first step in growing into community. It means that I am a member of God's family here on earth. It means that as a baptized person I need to be Christ's hands, his feet, and his eyes for my time here. I need to be what God is calling me to be.

While I may fail at this at times, I need to dust myself off and continue to do the best that I possibly can and to be the best me it is possible to be.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment