Sunday, February 12, 2017

Sunday Ramblings

I was supposed to attend a meeting about an hour away, but the roads this morning were terrible in that region so I decided it wasn't worth going even if they got less icy over the course of the afternoon. I would be driving home later and who knows what the roads would be like when darkness fell and the temperatures plummeted. Safer to stay home.

Yesterday morning I went for my usual stroll. I say stroll because I have to walk slowly due to all the snow and ice. I took my camera with me to see what sights I could catch.

We had a fairly heavy coating of hoar frost.

The trees sparkled in the morning sun.

I also saw lots of these.

Those are just two of the hoof prints in the snow on the corner of the street. The deer are getting a bit more daring every day.

This is all that is left of some of the cedars in one yard on the corner. The deer have been having a wonderful time chomping down on them.

I was asked for the recipe I used for the rhubarb muffins so here it is.

It is out of a book called The 250 Best Muffin Recipes.

Rhubarb Muffins

1 1/2 cups brown sugar (375 ml)
1/4 cup oil  (50 ml)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla  (10 ml)
1 cup buttermilk  (250 ml)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped rhubarb  (375 ml)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (125 ml)
2 1/2 cups flour  (625ml)
1 tsp baking powder (5 ml)
1 tsp baking soda  (5 ml)
1/2 tsp salt  (2 ml)

Topping

1/3 cup sugar (75 ml)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (7 ml)
1 tbsp margarine or butter melted (15 ml)


In a bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the buttermilk, rhubarb and nuts. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to rhubarb mixture and mix until just moist.

In another bowl mix the topping ingredients.

Spoon the batter into prepared tins, filling 3/4's full. Sprinkle with the topping.

Bake at 425 F (220 C) for about 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


1 comment: