Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Midweek Blahs

 

Wow we are almost into the second week of June. Time is moving along way too quickly. I wish it would slow down a bit, but of course summer always passes by much too quickly.


First off Maebeme, thank you so much for offering the bricks you have for DS's firepit project. I don't think they will work however, but your kindness is greatly appreciated. 

I have also done my last rapid test. It has been 5 days since I was around my friend and today once again I have tested negative. Guess I have dodged a bullet this time around. Must keep right on doing so.


Now on to why I have titled this post Midweek Blahs.


Yep, costs keep rising and things are beginning to add up exponentially. 

Fuel prices are ridiculous and will more than likely curtail lots of travel this year by not only us, but by a great many more Canadians. Not good for the economy at all, not good for hotels, cabins, gas stations, grocery stores and a whole host of other businesses. It almost feels like another stay close to home summer. 

Got the grocery fliers today and really  the new sale price on many items is the old regular price. I really worry about how young families and older people who are on fixed incomes are going to survive. Or how those like Kris who have just purchased their first home are going to be able to make the mortgage payments when the time comes to renew. 

With portfolio's taking a big hit over the last year or so even those of us with savings beyond our pensions might eventually be in a bit of trouble. 

Many farmers in our area are having trouble getting their crops seeded due to the wet conditions which will of course cause shortages. I plan on doing a bit more stocking up. I think I could put a bag of flour or two in the chest freezer. 

Still things can change. One of our GIC's actually got reinvested at the highest interest rate I have seen in a number of years. 

I have noticed more people offering free veggie starters on our Garage Sale sites, and I have noticed people offering more help to those in need even giving free items away that single mothers or those who have suffered a fire need. 

We can focus on on the negatives of what we are all facing, or we can figure out ways to rise above them much like our families did during the "Dirty Thirties". 

Instead of just existing and pinching pennies (oh don't get me wrong pinching pennies is still a big part of my life) we need to find ways to thrive and grow.

So perhaps my midweek blah's weren't so blah after all.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. I love how you talked yourself through the blah's and thought of a few solutions. Maybe not full solutions, but certainly steps in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely the time to take stock and change things, if needed, I agree. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Magpie, you've considered all the problems and determined there are ways out of it. I think back to the 1980's when I started working in the bank system. Mortgage rates were close to 18% and it was scary times for a lot of people, and those who had GIC's and savings were thrilled because their interest rates were also high.
    I think, at some point, governments are going to have to put a surcharge on the excess profits of the O&G companies and other corporations. Those funds can then be rebated back to the consumer. We had gas rebates back in the late 70's - I remember keeping my receipts and doing the calculation to claim it.
    One more thing about mortgages, the bank would have done a "stress test" for Kris (and any other buyer) to determine whether they could afford the property at the highest rate - not necessarily the rate chosen. By the time he renews, the principal will be lower and (hopefully) rates will have stabilized.
    As for the bricks, no worries, I think I'll put them on Free Regina on FB and see if I can get rid of them that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blah's have turned into a very positive post, Jackie, and I couldn't agree more that we need to look at the positives and help others whenever we can. Instead of complaining I want to do the best I can to get through the rough patch and enjoy life as much as is possible. Kindness is key.
    Have a wonderful week x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too worry about prices, but then I tell myself, Remember Kim , God is in charge. It is okay to have the blah's we all get them, Just don't stay there. If you do I will be forced to get in the car with my passport and drive there and shake you up. And gas is so expensive.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been stocking up on flour/sugar, and putting them into the freezer. When I put a new one in my canister I add it to the shopping list. Don't want to run out of either.

    ReplyDelete