Thursday, June 23, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 

Most of the new thrifty happenings here on the old homestead this week were Harvey's. I just worked on refining those I already do. You can always do better.

Harvey bottled 67 bottles of beer yesterday for a total cost of around $48.00. Considering that 12 bottles cost close to $35.00 the savings is considerable. 

He also made me a hanger for my Hummingbird feeder and placed it at a distance from the other bird feeders. 

Harvey also pulled lots of radish out of his long planter boxes. They are residing in the crisper right now and will be used in my tuna pasta salad on Friday.

I finally got my yarn wreath hung. Harvey found the perfect nail (I was going to purchase a fancy hook) as he said you won't see the nail anyway. He was right, and he used a nail he already had from his stash downstairs.

The next thrifty thing Harvey did was replace our gate pull with something from his stash that hopefully will not wear out as quickly on our metal fence.

I made good use of all leftovers, nothing was wasted and I put a small container of leftover corn into the fridge to use in soup later.

Made my own Hummer food (much less expensive than purchasing) and refilled the feeder.

Put the chicken carcass and skin into a freezer bag and popped it into the freezer until I can get another one. 

Made a few slices of leftover ham into ham salad for sandwiches.

The chicken carcass was picked of meat and Harvey can have some chicken sandwiches the rest of this week.

I also made rhubarb jam today and got 7 jars (I will probably give 1 each to Kurt and Kris). The remaining sliced rhubarb has been put in freezer bags, dated and put in the big chest freezer. The rhubarb comes from my garden (my neighbour has some that I am tempted to ask if I can pick if they aren't using it) and the plants are still coming so more will be frozen for use later.


So that's about all from the old homestead.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

9 comments:

  1. Rhubarb jam. Mmmm, how delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have so much rhubarb! I managed to pick enough for a dessert yesterday but I think my plants are tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of very frugal activity going on on your homestead Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to work on the using food items up more. I have a tendency to put leftovers in the fridge and then a week later toss them out. I do have one evening a week that I call leftover night and we forage in the fridge for whatever we choose to eat.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great when you can both be frugal! I love rhubarb anything and when we take the boys back to southern Idaho, I am going to get some to freeze from my mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good week, and boy is Harvey hand! Love to make him a list of things I need done, here, lol. Making beer sounds like it might be fun; though I no longer drink beer. Somewhere along the line I developed an allergy to it. So wine is my thing now, and or a cocktail. I had left overs twice this week, which is good. I try hard not to cook enough to have left overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes wine as well, and has been getting into making dessert wines. The savings are amazing!! A wine kit (one that makes wine equal to the $30.00 a bottle) costs about $70.00 and makes around 30 bottles of wine. Right now he has a black cherry wine going for me.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good frugal week. What a savings on the beer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure is nice when your significant other is on the frugal train right along with you. There's no sense in us making either beer or wine because we so rarely drink it. We usually buy a small case of non-alcoholic beer every summer and sometimes will split one in the evening. Usually half of the case ends up going into soup or stew in the fall.

    ReplyDelete