Thursday, May 9, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

 Thrifty and Frugal   


This past week has been more one of using items up and going through stashes to see what can be used in crafting. So far there have been a few good craft stash uses. 

All of my quilt blocks were cut from 4" squares I had made from scrap fabric. Still have lots of those to use up and the next quilt I make will be with some of the lighter weight squares. My hour glass blocks are not all perfect and I have a feeling part of the reason is the weight of the fabric used.

I pulled some fancy light knit from my stash and managed to cut out the makings of 3 infinity scarves. I need to work on those tomorrow. 

I have cooked twice this week using appliances (will be doing so again today). Tomorrow I will need to use the oven, but I am going to make sure I fill it well. Plan on making some sausage rolls, muffins (need to use up some applesauce) and then making the fish for supper. 

I did go a bit overboard on plant shopping, but spring, summer and fall is to be enjoyed and getting some colour in the yard is definitely a morale booster. 

Harvey bottled another 28 bottles of a red wine yesterday. He bottled a light raspberry wine (about the same number of bottles) a couple of days before that. While the initial costs for the kits is high, the number of bottles we get and the cost to purchase those same bottles is very a big savings. 

Meals have been made with what is on hand, many using leftovers from other meals. Considering the cost of food now, I am making sure that nothing goes to waste. It is either frozen for use later, or we eat it a couple of days after our first meal. Anything leftover after that is used for lunches. Heck one day this week I had a piece of pie for my breakfast as it needed eating.

My errands were grouped together and all done on one day. Thus saving fuel and wear/tear on the vehicle and myself.

Frugal exercise once again. Yoga stretches here at home using YouTube, and going for walks. 

The water barrel (butt) is full now so watering the plants will be mostly free for awhile. 

Clothes were hung on the lines downstairs as it was raining here on wash day. Hopefully I get to use the lines outside next week.

Windows are open today to air out the house and keep things a bit cooler inside.

So that is pretty much all I can remember. I am really working on the water saving and using appliances to cook more.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.
God bless.


7 comments:

  1. Good job. Lots accomplished. No such thing as too many plants!! Oh yum - light raspberry wine - I want to visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating up leftovers was always a thing growing up. And big pots of food were made to stretch and be eaten. I love that way. It is fun. And I love how so many are working on less waste during these times. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these thrifty/frugal ideas of yours and never tire of reading about them. I did get a line hung in the basement laundry room for added drying space. We do group our errands so we are being very easy on gas these days. Tony used to make wine with those kits too; sadly he has lost interest in such and it used to be a treat for him. I think we do need our treats from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a wine drinker, but can easily imagine how making it at home would be a good savings overall.
    I haven't yet picked up plants but will do so this upcoming week. With no frosty nights in the future, I'll plant here before heading back to the city.
    My daughter and I have been meal planning and using what we have. Leftovers are definitely used for lunches, or one evening a week we clean up what is left. Makes for some strange combinations but it works. I love the idea of pie for breakfast.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We try very hard to group our errands but then the library calls that a book (or several!) are in and we have to go out again. I guess we balance the frugality of borrowing books against the gas we use to go and pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harvey's raspberry wine sounds divine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, raspberry wine sounds lovely. We tend to waste very little food, as I hate to throw food away.

    ReplyDelete