Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Month End

Here it is the end of the first month of 2018 and time to see how well I did budget wise, decluttering, and using up the stash.

I'll start with the things I did well, or at least pretty good at.

Using up the stash went well. Lots of bits and bobs of yarn were used knitting the socks this month. I also managed to use up two cakes of yarn so far on the shawl I am making. Then of course there were the mitts and toques I made for my brother's twins that used up even more of the stash (the leftovers were used on the socks).

I started to go through my fall winter clothing with a ruthless eye. I managed to remove or recycle 29 items. Added to some household things 40 items left my home. I hope to increase that number in the month of February.

Now comes some fails. I did not manage to come in under budget for groceries, in fact I was $40.00 over. Harvey said that wasn't too bad considering that budget line also is used for over the counter medications, pet supplies, paper goods and laundry items. Next month I am going to try very hard to make up that overage and come under once again. It could mean my stock up shop gets put back a month, but we have lots of food and paper goods in the house.

The rest of the budget was mostly under. Fuel for the vehicles, gas to heat the house, electric costs, house maintenance, entertainment, my spending money, clothing, computer supplies, all under budgeted amounts.

Overall we were almost $600.00 under budget for the month, which is pretty darn good. I am hoping that next month will be even better.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Really good results coming in so far under budget. Well done Jackie.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I was really hoping to come in under budget for groceries and such this month, but since the rest was so well under, the overspend wasn't too bad. Hopefully this month will be much better (or at least under budget).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $600 under budget doesn't sound like a fail to me. My grocery budget has averaged ~$440/mo for the past 8 yrs. Some months I spend a little more, some a little less depending upon what's going on. Last year I shopped from the freezer, vowing not to restock it until what was in there was used up. (I did buy extra at the holidays.) It took 6 months to do that.

    ReplyDelete