Friday, March 8, 2013

Getting Caught up Around the House... Frugal Past Times

I spent today getting caught up on a few of the chores that I have put off for awhile.

This morning I spent some time cutting out quilting squares from old jeans and scrap material from all the costume making I have been doing lately.

First I got out all the necessary tools.


Then I started cutting 4" squares. Here is a pile I ended up with from part of today's session.


I put these in the container I have specially marked for quilt squares. Do you think I have enough to make a quilt or two?

Hmm, I think it is time I started to piece out one or two.

Next I finished sewing up the second sweater that I want to give as an Easter gift. Actually these are sweaters that I had wanted to give for Christmas, but ran out of time to make them. Hence they have become Easter presents for Kurt and Kris.


One more item marked off my white board of projects that I want to complete.

Kept my day full and purposefully frugal as everything I did and will be doing saves money and gets rid of clutter in my house..... Well not really clutter, but things I use to create gifts and clothing for my family.

I am now working on mittens from some of the yarn that was leftover from other projects. Like I said my mantra this year is use it up, wear it out, make it do.... Or if all else fails recycle and find new uses for items I already own.

We are heading into Regina tomorrow and I need to pick up some embroidery thread for my machine and a couple of meters of material to make the quilt for our bed. Other then that Harvey wants to pick up a few fishing items, and some popcorn for his popcorn machine. We will be looking at home improvement items and pricing them out. Best of all we will be spending time with Kris.

Everybody have a wonderful evening. God bless.




2 comments:

  1. Jackie,

    I have a brass trunk completely FILLED with denim jeans that I have broken down, at least enough to do two more queen sized quilts and then some. They are wonderfully warm and incredibly durable...but oh so heavy to make the bed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one that we used in the camper that I now have on our spare bed. It is folded at the end of the bed, so I haven't tried to make the bed with it as the main cover as of yet. Hard enough folding the darn thing.

    I made each of the boys two and they love to wrap up in them on cold evenings.

    ReplyDelete