Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Growing Bedding Plants

Spring is another time I work hard at saving a few dollars. Sometimes I get lucky trying my hand at starting plants indoors. This looks to be one of those times.

A few weeks ago I started my Moonflowers, both with seeds I bought and with a few I managed to harvest off last summers plants.

A few are starting to break through.

I put 4 seeds in each and will split them come spring for my hanging baskets and a couple of pots. I love the fact that they bloom at night. Here is hoping all of them come up.

Next I planted some of the herbs I grow in pots in the front of my house.

These are Basil.
Yes they are thickly planted, but I will thin them down in a few weeks to only the best three or four plants.

These are Thyme and I will thin these down as well.

If all my starters come up I will be saving around $35.00 for my spring planting.

Sorry the pictures are so blurry I guess that my hands were shaking a little as I took them.

I have noticed something strange with blogs right now. There are a great many award ceremonies going on and bloggers are asking for votes so they can win a prize or two...... Hmmm, if you have to ask people to vote for you do you really deserve the prize or nomination. Just my opinion.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... think the spammers are hitting blogs, too.
    Anyway, how long is your growing season ... I'm thinking you get first frost earlier ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our growing season usually goes from about the last weekend in May until the beginning of October. We sometimes get small frosts the end of September, but the killing frost does not usually hit until October.

    Yep, the spammers are hitting blogs, I usually end up deleting a few of them every second day or so. I am really glad we have automatic spam detection now or I would be forever deleting their posts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie,
    Looks like you are getting a head start on your planting... Great idea...
    It has been a very long winter here in Southern ontario too. It is snowing again to-night:(
    If I catch that groundhog you can imagine what I will do to it!!! LOL
    Take care
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete