Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thursday Tid Bits

It has been a quiet day around here. I didn't sleep very well last night, and so after my grocery shopping trip I did not do very much at all.

I did start working on the Baptismal cloths for the church, but since my embroidery machine decided to act up on the first one, I did not get them finished. I will finish them up tomorrow now that I have everything set up.

Back to the frugal tips book I have been reading. Thought I would share another couple of chapters with you.

Chapter Nine is about renovations and interior decorating.

The author talks about using the most expensive things that you can afford. She is right if you don't you will be renovating the same room over again in 5 or 6 years. Been there, done that with our bathroom. Now we have it done up using real tiles (used board the first time that looked like tiles, I don't even think it was really waterproof), a jet tub (sure comes in handy when we are stiff) and lovely fixtures. The room still looks modern and we completed it more than 10 years ago.

She also talks about using fixtures like cupboards over again. This is exactly what we have done in the kitchen. Harvey removed the cupboard doors, sanded them down, re stained them, and gave them a protective coat. He still has a few to do, but the ones he did look brand new. Much less expensive than replacing the cupboards.

Adding rooms can add to the overall value of your home. We added a bedroom in the basement as well as a finished family room. These are being redone again because of the flood, but this enabled us to redo the wiring, and add some furnace venting, getting rid of the electric heat down there. While the most expensive part was rebuilding the walls, and the furnace/venting upgrade, I am sure we will be saving money almost immediately on heating and I am pretty sure we will get most of the money spent back when we sell the house.

The author talks about home décor that is more than just pretty. My curtains are thermal and look beautiful, but also save us money in the winter and summer. Heat kept in during the winter and heat kept out during the summer.

She also talks about shopping at home for décor items before you head out to the store. Sometimes it is just looking at something in a different way or in a different spot. She also says that trolling the clearance aisles at discount stores can lead to bright and wonderful inexpensive accessories. I will add that keeping your eyes open at rummage sales, garage sales and second hand stores can often lead to wonderful finds in home décor.

Nothing really new to add to the frugal repository as we do most of the things the author mentions.

Chapter 10 is about the yard and garden.

Our yard is always a work in progress. It seems as if we change or move things quite often.

The author talks about using rain barrels, dehumidifier water, or grey water to save on watering plants.

She also talks about splitting plants to get more, talking to gardening friends to see if they have any plants to share with you (you share your splits in return if they want them), start seedlings inside from collected seeds, and growing a veggie garden. We do most of those things (well not the exchange of splits as we have been using them all ourselves, hopefully this year we can try trading) and have added container gardening for herbs and patio tomatoes. Next year I hope to extend the containers to hold peppers, and perhaps strawberries. I am also going to try starting my own orange tree and lemon tree, they will have to be moved into the house during the winter/fall, but I am hopeful that I can at least get some lemons in a few years. Just love me some lemonade in the summer.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment