Thursday, June 15, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


Really just the usual thrifty practices this week. It is actually a pretty boring week all told. 


I did get my order from Amazon today so will more than likely be trying my hand at making the dandelion oil (or at least a portion of it) into salve. People always tell me to use Voltarin for my aches and pains, but it does nothing. The oil I made last year helped a bit but was quite hard to rub in. I am hopeful this will work much better as a salve. 

Meals as usual are being made from what I have on hand and if I am missing an ingredient I find a substitution online. This is working wonders on my pantry and spice/herb collection. Using what one has is always thrifty and frugal. 

I am making lists of what we need to bring with us on our vacation. I don't want to have to purchase much in the National Park as the store there is very expensive. 

I went through my yarn and found enough (well I hope) to make the blankets for the three girls. Not sure about the male in the family so I will have to pull out some of the totes downstairs to see what is "male" oriented down there.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. If Voltarin doesn't work for you, try Absorbine Veterinary Linament Gel (available online or likely at stores that sell feed for animals). It sounds like it's 'for' animals and it is, but it also works on humans too. I grew up using Absorbine Senior (the Jr. stuff they sell for humans doesn't work) and it works really well. Just recently discovered they have a gel form. It's not cheap but it's really effective. No affiliation, just a happy consumer (and Voltaren doesn't work for me either).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your blog for the first time. I have severe osteoarthritis and Voltaren was recommended for me, too. It works fairly well, but it's messy, and expensive because you have to use so much. I get as much relief from DMSO. It is neater to use and you don't need anywhere near as much, thus it is much cheaper. Forty years ago, DMSO was controversial in the US because it wasn't approved for humans by the FDA. It is approved for veterinary use. Initially, people who used it on horses discovered it alleviated pain in their hands. If you would like to try DMSO, you can buy it online or in health food stores.
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to let us know how the salve works out for you.
    My daughter and I have been making lists are we're going camping for a few days in early July. Goodness gracious, my car is going to be stuffed full!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up to date on your posts, Jackie. You are doing great getting freezer items cleared out. I loved seeing your sewing items. How clever to sew clothes. And to make your own salve. That will be an interesting experiment hopefully with therapeutic results. Getting ready for a vacation is fun planning. Unfortunately we have the smokey air back today in our part of Ontario.

    ReplyDelete