Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits And Stuff

 

A quick post tonight as I want to visit you all, plus get my shuttle wound to start weaving tomorrow after watching more videos.

The last two, three days actually I have been getting the loom ready for weaving. Hopefully I get much quicker at doing the warping. 

I was asked if I could sit while doing this part of the process. Not for the first bit, but I can sit for the next two, which I hope will mean less back pain and quicker work. 

So here is what I managed to get done.


This was the first step getting the warp around the warping peg (and the one where I can't sit). I was also getting a bit confused with the over and under the warping stick directions. Figured it out finally.


Next Harvey had to hold the yarn from the warping peg at a constant tension so I could roll it onto the back roller. I then had to cut the yarn and have one thread go through the long slit in the reed, and then one thread was pulled out and pulled through the small hole to the right.

The threads were then gathered into smaller groups and tied to the warping stick in the front. You had to check the tension of the yarn often to make sure it was consistent. Then the groups were divided in half and tied around the warp stick. I ended up moving the groups a bit closer together as the spacing on the warp stick was not quite right. This meant testing the tension once again.

The last thing I did today was to use some scrap yarn to pull the other yarn threads to a more consistent spacing.


Now this is ready to weave. Tomorrow morning it is video time and hopefully I will be weaving by the afternoon (probably by watching the videos while doing so between shuttle passes). 


Off to visit you all and then get that shuttle wound and to work on knitting those mitts I promised Kurt.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. Wow what a process. There’s no way I would be able to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made my brain whirl just reading the instructions . . . well done for making sense of it and enjoy the weaving! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds complicated. I bet you get it down pat very quickly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take your word for it. I've not a clue what you did but I'm sure it will work out beautifully.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, you're weaving, can't wait to see the finished product. It all sounds too complicated to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My head is spinning just after reading this. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - this process sounds like work!! I'm sure it will get better as you practice.

    ReplyDelete