Thursday, January 24, 2013

Saving Money In The Winter

One thing I have noticed over the years is that it is very easy to save money when the weather is nice, and laundry can always be hung outside.

Here on the Canadian prairies it is a bit harder to do in the winter.

One thing I have done to save a bit of money on drying clothes is have Harvey set up some drying rods and lines in our basement. This holds about 3 loads of our laundry so I am sorry to say the rest gets put in the dryer. I have an extra capacity dryer though so I can usually dry 2 loads of wash at a time. While this only saves around $3.00 a week, over the course of a winter the savings add up. I would estimate that we are saving $60.00 a winter at least, sometimes more.

Another way we save money is by watching our electrical usage closely.

Lights are turned off in rooms not in use. In fact we have electric heat in the back addition where the bed rooms are located (and my sewing/craft room) and the only room that we are heating right now is the bed room we sleep in. When Kris comes home we turn on the heat in the second bed room, but right after he leaves the heat is turned off. I must admit to turning the heat on in the sewing/craft room today, but I was spending loads of time in there and it was very cold. I am finished what I needed to do so the heat is off once again. I will more than likely turn it on again tomorrow as I need to work on another cloth for the school.

Our thermostat is turned as low as we can stand it. Believe me when it is freezing cold outside and the wind is howling around the eaves we are nice and warm. If we feel a bit chilly there are afghans and quilts to curl up in. We are not in the least uncomfortable. If we were the heat would get turned up (Harvey can not stand feeling cold).

Those are just three of the ways we save money in the winter. Tomorrow I will have a couple more ways to share.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment