Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ahhh, The End Of The School Year

Today marks the end of the school year for me. As a sub you do not often get called in to work the final week of school. Though that was proven wrong for me this year. I worked on Monday as one of the regular aides was attending a funeral for a family member. It was interesting to be involved in the final year tear down of class rooms and set up for the Grade 8 Farewell.

Today was a busy day. I got caught up on a few things around the house that did not get done on Monday and completed most of today's to do list. Makes me happy to cross items off a list, a bit anal of me I know, but hey at least I know what I have done in a day.

After helping Harvey with some of the deck work, I came in and began (well really continued) my work indoors.

I had decided a few weeks ago to go through my scrap material and cut out useable quilting blocks. I did some last week and this week managed to find more that needed to be prepared.


I got these cut out a few days ago. Nice little pile of squares.

I have this stack of material still to cut.

I am hoping to get it done before Harvey gets up tomorrow morning and we start to do more work on the deck.

Since I started a challenge on a forum I visit I have been using up as much as I possibly can. This not only includes leftover food, but fabric, yarn, cleaning supplies and anything else a person can think of. I have a feeling this has saved us a great deal over the past few years. It also gives me a great deal of satisfaction that I am not putting as much in our city's landfill any longer. One bag of garbage a week, unless we are doing a spring or fall clean up of the yard. Even Harvey is getting in on it and recycling some of the lumber from the dismantled deck into shelving for the second garden shed he wants to build (or buy if he can find one at the right price). Got to love it when the whole family gets involved!!!

I also want to clean and prepare the rhubarb I picked. Perhaps make a cake or some more pies. Seems as if as fast as I use up items from the big chest freezer, I am putting more in. Hopefully I will have most of the veggies gone and can do a good defrost before the next harvest comes.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


2 comments:

  1. When does school start again? I ask because here, most of the schools were out by late May. Most will go back in mid August, though one of my teacher friends will go back late next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. School starts back up after the long weekend in September. This is usually the first Monday in September. The staff in the schools goes back three days before to get ready for the students arrival.

    We used to go back in this province at the end of August (both students and staff) but changed to match the other provinces in Canada.

    ReplyDelete