Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thursday Tid Bits

Thank you one and all for your comments. I have decided to just step back and let my friend try and handle her husband and his spending/giving money to the kids habit. I did help her set up a menu for the upcoming week (even gave her ideas for the leftovers, since her Hubby does not like eating frozen items....says the flavour changes). We even pulled out her bread machine and I got her started on making bread at least once a week (hopefully they will love it so much that bread machine will be used more often).

Tomorrow I am going to show her how to thread her sewing machine and do some minor repairs. D always takes her mending in to the seamstress here in the city and I want to show her how hemming, sewing on buttons, or even fixing a seam can save her lots of cash in the long run.

I figure that the more I show her how to watch the pennies without pushing a budget the more likely it will be that D can get her husband to climb on the frugal train. I am hoping that eventually they will both learn that just because you are frugal, it doesn't mean you can't have fun or that you are cheap.

Next week I hope to introduce her to not grabbing something to eat on the way home from appointments, or because she (and he) are too tired to cook.

The rest of the day has been spent here on the old homestead. Quiet, plenty of tea, a glass of wine with Hubby before supper, and lots of knitting.

I managed to get a bit of decluttering accomplished in my closet. As I folded items to place in the bag/bags I thought to myself that I could really get along with much less in the way of dressy clothing. Perhaps that will be something to think about. Yes, skirts, tops, and simple dresses are extremely easy for me to sew, but perhaps I should be sewing things like pants, shorts and t-shirts instead. My lifestyle has changed and it is probably time that my closet and drawers showed this.

Worked on a couple of lists today. I figured out the extra cleaning I want to get completed next month, and got a good start on my monthly goal list. I am also getting ready to start another price book. I used one when I first started on my journey, and over the last few years I kind of laid it aside. With prices going up it will be nice to have something with which to check sale prices. I may be traveling to more than one grocery store once again.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



1 comment:

  1. I think you are probably doing the right thing if you want to save your friendship. Other peoples finances are a minefield. Keep being supportive to your friend and showing her how she can exercise some control over her spending. Like you say, often others will get on board once they see the benefits. Being there for her if things get difficult will be better than being banished from her life for getting too involved.

    ReplyDelete