Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Thrifty Tuesday

Another quiet day. It seems like every day rolls by much the same as every other day this winter.

Today was the perfect day to stay in and follow some thrifty pursuits.

Over the years I have done a great deal of knitting and being the type of person I am, and from what I saw my mother do, all those leftover skeins and balls of yarn have been saved. I have knit hats, scarves and mitts from the leftovers and even a shawl or two from what I inherited from my Mom. However, a person can only use so many hats, scarves or mitts and can only knit so many to give away to schools and the various homeless shelters before you hit a wall and say "Please, is there anything else you can use?"

A couple of days ago, I pulled out all the leftover shades of purple and pink yarn and started knitting squares. I hope to have enough squares to make a blanket or perhaps even two blankets. I plan on taking them to the nursing home here in the city, perhaps they can be used to keep a senior or two comfortable. If they go over well there, I think I may make a few for our Warm Welcome Shelter which runs during the winter months. I have a feeling my Mom would really love this idea.

No wasting, using something to make someone happy or at least comfortable, to let them know that someone cares enough to reach out is the best possible way for me to use my thrifty ways. It also makes me feel a bit better about my leftover yarn "hoarding".

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. that's a great idea about the blankets for the nursing home....I don't know how to knit..my mom sure was good at it but I was too busy doing other things to learn...wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good idea Jackie, I'm sure they'll be very grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely idea, I'm sure a home or shelter would be delighted to take them.

    A few ladies at the charity shop knit "twiddle muffs" for the local dementia group they are well received too.

    ReplyDelete