Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Towards A Simpler Life

 


It has been awhile since I posted anything I have learned from my Simpler Living book. 

Today I read about "Washroom Wizardry", since I actually had a bit of time this afternoon once all the household tasks and outdoor tasks for the day were completed. The back was beginning to bother me and so reading this chapter just seemed ideal.

I was surprised when reading that I already follow most of the storage ideas. Now, the book says not to store your cleaning supplies under your sink, but I always have. While the boys were toddlers we had a lock on that cabinet (heck we had locks on most of our cabinets during that phase), and to use baskets in the drawers to store like items together (must look into that). Our counter top is fairly clean as all that we have on there is soft soap, my hand soap, electric toothbrush, lens cleaner packages in a nice bowl and some Q-tips. 

My large stand alone cupboard hides our toilet paper, towels, facecloths, hand towels (the extras) as well as any extra shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, bath bombs, lotions and potions. I put small stand alone shelves in there years ago to take advantage of the upwards space. These were also ideas mentioned in the chapter to make it easier to find things. 

It was also stated that as we age grab bars should be added to the decor. This is something Harvey and I have been speaking about lately. I would also like a bath chair so as to make it easier for me to use granular rubs on my feet, something I do to remove the dead skin. 

The chapter recommends having a hook for your robe as well. Also something we have as our bathroom is a distance to the bedroom, and the vision of either of us scrambling naked to get ready for the day or ready for bed isn't something I would wish on anyone. 

Part of the chapter talks about where to store medicines (we never put ours in the medicine cabinet) and what should be in the first aid kit. 

The last part of the chapter talks about cleaning (have I ever mentioned that I really hate cleaning the bathroom?) and how many items from vinegar, lemon juice, nonchlorine bleach, rubbing alcohol, and baking soda are very good cleaners. They also talk about using a mop to clean your tub (now that is something that I could get into) so as not to hurt your back. 

So here is a list of the chapter's simple ideas to save money, time and energy while simplifying your life.

1. Use drawer dividers to organize your bits and bobs.

2.  Mount a hook on the back of the bathroom door (ours is actually in the wall behind the door).

3.  Treat old medicine like toxic waste and dispose of responsibly.

4.  Hang a shower caddie (they mention one for each person but that could be a bit overboard).

5.  Install nonslip flooring in your tub and shower.

6.  Keep bleach and vinegar on hand for inexpensive cleaning.

7.  Use inexpensive children's shampoo instead of expensive bubble bath. 


Just a few ideas to move towards a simpler life.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

10 comments:

  1. I really believe grab bars are good for all ages as you can feel dizzy, have surgery or break a bone, slip, etc. at any age. There are really nice looking ones now to blend with your towel bars. Sounds like you have everything else covered though. I personally hate cleaning the shower the most but also the bathroom as a whole too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fascinating Jackie ... like you I do already do some of those things but I need to have a rethink & a sort out of my bathroom & laundry cupboards. Instead of bubble bath I use a handful of epsom salts in the bath as its very good for your skin & your aches & pains (of which there are many) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. as we age, we think about more things. I do have grab bars - as we needed them for G. I have used them. Keeping things close to where we will use them is smart. I have a hanging rack on the back of the bathroom door for robe while showering and such.
    Anything that makes life easier is in my book nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband helps me out by scrubbing the tub and shower. I don’t have the arm strength it takes to scrub. That’s a big help for me when I can’t do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's some interesting idea there. I had grab bars put in ages ago for when Mum and Dad came to vitis and, while I don't need them yet, I am glad they are there for the time when I do need a bit of support.
    I rarely use bubble bath, etc - the water is soft and soup does the job. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was their reasoning for not putting cleaning supplies under the sink but in drawers instead? Any bottles we have would not fit in a drawer. Just curious.
    In our small rv bathroom, we do a lot of this since we have no choice. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I'm with my son, I have a bathroom of my own, but there is only one bathroom for the three of us at my daughter's house. While there is some storage in the bathroom, there isn't enough room for toilet paper so that's currently stored in the pantry off the kitchen (next room over). We purchased one of those corner caddy's for the tub, but I suspect my daughter put it together incorrectly, as it fell apart the other day when I was having a shower. I've suggested baskets for our items that can remain in the bathtub (behind the shower curtain) and moved out when someone is having a bath. She doesn't like that idea so I'm not sure what we'll end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Minimizing the amount of cleaners you use is very wise. I try to make do with just a few different products; washing up liquid, a bar of household soap, vinegar, and bleach. I make my own cleaner with vinegar and citrus peels, which smells a lot nicer than just vinegar! Shampoo is also a good alternative for a descaler for those that can't stand the vinegar smell. For mopping the floors, I use what they call "all purpose cleaner" here, which is a bit of a funny name, since there is no detergent in it, it's basically scented water. So I add a dash of that to soapy water. I'm yet to find one single chore I can't do without these cleaners. Yes, sometimes it does take a bit of elbow grease and scrubbing though.

    Having lots of different single purpose products doesn't make sense to me, all it does is cluttering up precious space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have always kept my cleaning supplies under my cupboard. Just reorganized my bathroom drawers early in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our bathroom is tiny so there's not much storage space in there. Years ago we bought two plastic totes (with handles) and we each keep our toiletries in those and tuck them beneath the sink when not in use. The only things we have space for on the counter are two bars of soap (his & hers) and a bottle of liquid soap. Luckily the bathroom had grab bars when we moved in and I must admit they sure come in handy. Days of having baths are over because neither one of us can get up out of the tub anymore. Showers are far easier.

    ReplyDelete