Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday Happenings/Busy In The Kitchen

It has been a busy day on the old homestead. I am working hard at getting the harvest processed and in the freezer. Seems to be a never ending chore as more and more items are being harvested.

Bright and early this morning I started a loaf of whole wheat bread. We have been using so much in the bread department that it was time to begin making my own again. My trusty bread machine was put to work.

While the bread was being mixed and kneaded I started something new with the apples from my neighbour.

Here is the bowlful I used.

I honestly thought that 5 1/2 pounds would me more than this, but it was a start on that box in the hallway.


Here is the start of the cored, peeled and finely chopped apple. Okay I got a bit tired of finely chopping and ended up finely dicing them.

Threw them in the slow cooker, added sugar, cinnamon and cloves and turned on this handy, dandy machine.

After 9 hours on low (one hour on high), this is what was in the pot.

A lovely batch of apple butter!!! This is the first time I have ever made this and the smell was absolutely wonderful as it traveled through the house. Almost like having many candles burning.

Still have about 3/4 of a box of apples to get through, so I think tomorrow I will make up some apple sauce!!

After supper I processed another batch of tomatoes.

Four more bags to put into the freezer. Think I am getting very close to my goal for this month.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment