Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Thrifty Tuesday

Today has been a quiet on on the old homestead.

Household chores were done, the unfinished chores from yesterday were completed as well. I even managed to do a bit of extra cleaning before calling it quits and settling in for some Little House on the Prairie episodes and work on my embroidery.

As far as thrift goes I worked yesterday so that brought money in instead of money out via spending. Today I received a phone call asking if I could sub next Monday as well. It is only for the morning, but once again it is money in rather than money out.

Cooking supper tonight I decided to try cooking rice along with the pork chops in the oven. While the rice did not turn out the best it was edible and I learned that in my case the best way to cook rice is with my rice cooker.

I have some leftover rice so will make rice pudding for our dessert tomorrow. I do love a good rice pudding.

No driving, lots of walking and I even managed to visit a friend for a free cup of coffee.

We did get our power bill today and while high, not as high as it could be. It seems that my running around turning down the heat, turning off lights, and doing those things consistently is making a bit of a difference. In fact Harvey read the meter and once again our power supplier is over estimating our usage. Hope to keep that up the rest of the month, that could mean a lower bill next month. Good thing cause our holiday could end up being pretty expensive all told.

All in all an enjoyable and thrifty day.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Jackie, my daughter-in-law makes good rice in the oven when she makes beef tips and gravy. Do you want the recipe? It is a old one that she got from her Mom. Mary (Kindhearted1 from FL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I would love to have the recipe. I figure if my oven is on I may as well make everything in there.

    Thank you so much for offering Mary.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get so tickled when you visit a friend and get free coffee...lol
    I love Rice pudding, too...

    ReplyDelete