Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Fast and Furious (and I Don't Mean The Movie)

The past few weeks have seen the garden growing by leaps and bounds. Now it is harvest time and I am up to my elbows in fresh fruit and veggies. Not that I am complaining, but there are days that I wish things would slow down a bit.

Today, I picked more cherries and made our cherry liqueur for the winter.


Four jars that will be ready to be bottled in three months.

While I was picking cherries, Harvey was busy picking peas. After 2 1/2 hours of shelling peas I ended up with these......


One extremely full bag and one partially full bag. Blanching and bagging for the freezer will wait until tomorrow.

The smaller bag is enough for a meal for Harvey and I, but it won't be our first taste of fresh peas. I did shell enough for our supper tonight.

Supper was the stuffed peppers using the leftover meat loaf. It actually turned out very well. I warmed the leftover meat loaf up and added some cooked rice. Then stuffed the peppers. I poured some leftover tomato soup over the peppers and baked them at 350 F. During the last 15 minutes I sprinkled some shredded Italian cheese over top and continued to bake them until the cheese melted. Total baking time was 45 min.

Harvey really enjoyed them, and I made a whole new meal out of leftovers. Win Win.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Green peas like that will only grow here in the very early spring....we will have some field peas coming in soon, though...We got a shower yesterday which cooled things off a little, its 89 right now but feels like 93. I went out and watered the flowers in pots and fed the fish, when I came in my clothes were wet and my hair wet at the roots. Yuk.
    Have a good weekend.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie. I got bored and thought I would drop by my blog and see what's going on. I had to reset everything since it's been way over a years since I've been on here. I see you are getting ready for winter. I'm so ready for winter. I'm so over summer already. Nothing better than fresh veggies and fruits from one's garden. Your's all looks so yummy!! I may try to do a new post later this evening. I have some things to share. Not sure who all is blogging anymore. I do miss it. Technology sure has changed everything. Talk to you later and enjoy your produce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your garden has done so well. I love cherries, too. :)
    A veggie dinner with cornbread is one of our favorite meals.
    Don't work too hard. xoxo

    ReplyDelete