Friday, July 31, 2015

Frugal Friday

It is hard to believe that this is the last day of July. My goodness the summer seems to be just flying by.

I have had a very frugal week and kept spending to just some bills and a few needed groceries. In fact I have managed 4 no spend days so far.

Meals have been made with what is on hand in the meat freezer, and we have had a couple of use it up before it goes bad suppers as well. I am sticking very close to my menu plans this month another wonderful thing.

Harvey and Kris went fishing last Saturday and have replenished our dwindling supply of fish fillets in the freezer. Pretty much free food, and two of the men in my life get to bond a bit more.

As you all could see from my previous posts I have been working on harvesting a few items from the garden. Today I picked 22 jalapenos and managed to do a bit of pickling.

Three lovely jars with more to come. The guys love these on their hamburgers!

Tomorrow I plan on picking some more cherries and dehydrating them. They turn out like raisins and I use them in baking muffins and loaves. It's a nice change from the usual raisins as they are slightly tart and a bit more on the chewy side.

Laundry was done as usual in cold water where I could and hung in the basement until the rain stopped on Monday.

Hubby repaired one of my outside solar lights, a fairy surrounded by flowers that light up in different colours once the sun goes down.

I continued with my frugal exercise of walking every day. I do a long walk in the morning and then a shorter walk in the afternoon.

I have also been reading a free novel on my Kobo ereader. I have quite a few downloaded and am working my way through them all.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


3 comments:

  1. I am stunned that it's already Aug 1st...where the heck did those fickle June and July run off to ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the cukes were ahead till I realized its August. I am in the midst of making dills. I wish I still had my old cherry tree. My new one is a few years away yet from producing any sizeable amount. In your cherry liqueur do you us both vodka and brandy? So many different recipes I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jean I use both vodka and brandy. Only one cup of brandy so a bottle lasts for a few batches.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete