Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Harvest Has Begun and Giant Mutant Potatoes

This past week has seen the beginning of harvesting the garden.

Surprisingly enough we are starting to get rather large cucumbers off very small vines.

These are three that I picked since the first three I picked to take to the family reunion. I don't think that I will have to buy cucumbers for a while. I made lots of dills last year so I will not have to make any this year. Relish on the other hand needs to be made. Harvey and our sons just love my homemade relish. It is from a recipe that Harvey's mother used.

I also managed to get this rather large bag of leaf lettuce picked.

It doesn't even make a dent in what is left to pick.

Funny thing, Harvey only gives the garden a good soaking once a week and today I wondered out into the potato portion of the garden. Yikes, I think we have mutant potatoes growing!!!! I have never, ever seen potatoes this tall in our garden.

Here I am standing in the midst of the potato patch. I am 65 1/2" tall so these potatoes are at least 50" tall and still growing!!!! If this keeps up they will overtake the corn very soon. I do hope that they are not all top with nothing under them.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. A great harvest. Your cucumbers look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, I too have never ever seen potatoes grow that tall either. I hope they are not all top and no bottom (potatoes)?

    ReplyDelete