Friday, March 8, 2024

Simpler Living

 


As most of you know I am on a quest to make our lives a bit simpler. Not that anything in this day and age can really be considered simple. 

Our world is getting more and more complex and what we need to do is work through the complexity. Firstly we need to acknowledge this and view this as a challenge. Then we need to look for the answer to that challenge. Instead of saying What can I do?, ask ourselves instead What will I do?

One thing I have learned is not to go to extremes. Take your wardrobe for instant. If you are still working, don't whittle things down to 2 pairs of pants, 1 blouse, 1 dress, a couple of skirts, and a few t-shirts. That will never work. In my quest to simplify as things get badly worn or no longer fit, I remove them from my wardrobe and donate them, or if they are in really rough shape, cut into rags, or material that can be used in another project. 

This just goes to show that pairing ones wardrobe, household items or even credit cards below a sensible level is not simplicity but could be an emergency waiting to happen later on. 

Leaving things undone (like not making your bed, or doing the dishes) is not simplicity. In fact I feel they take away from living a simple life. In fact doing these types of things could even lead someone into becoming a hermit. After all since you won't be entertaining any longer why take baths as often, why not eat out of the pots that you cook in rather than keep using your plates.....

Having a simpler life does not mean doing without, it is just a different life. It is not one of doing without, it is doing with just a bit less.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

10 comments:

  1. Simpler is lovely. I agree - nothing about it says doing without. Just different choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having such a hectic life with families and work, as we get older we all crave simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with everything you have said. Ultra-'simplicity' can cause major stress. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother was always fond of an expression 'everything in moderation' and I think that fits with what you're saying here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about eating out of the pots rather than having plates, what an interesting idea that does go against the simplicity movement. We don't need to make it so simple that we are doing without like that. Life wouldn't be very good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written Jackie & absolutely true. I've always thought it a very good discipline to make my bed every morning - even on the ones when I don't want to. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true. I could quite easily go down that path and end up in a disastrous state!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to make my bed every morning as I enjoy the simple luxury of getting into a made bed at night. It feels like I'm looking after my future self by making the bed.

    ReplyDelete